Thread: 2014 WRX?
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-03, 09:54 AM   #22
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

First, I haven't seen anywhere that the WRX redesign is "for motorsports". Best I can tell, the redesign is to sell more cars by making it sportier looking. Subaru's involvement in Rally is actually pretty superficial ever since they pulled out of WRC. They *used* to design road cars specifically to succeed in WRC... that's where the STi came from. But now they're essentially just supporting the US rally guys with parts and calling it a "factory team"... I doubt there's any real thought put into the design of their cars with respect to US rally. Which is why the hubs are weaker, suspension is flimsier, cars are larger and heavier, etc. on the Imprezas. They're designing the cars for sales profits, not for wins.

Second, the difference between "track oriented" and "rally oriented" suspension is basically nothing. In both sports, the struts are replaced, the control arms beefed up, etc. The only thing that matters at the factory is the basic suspension layout, and both the Impreza and BRZ fail in that regards. If either were truly meant for motorsports, Subaru would have figured out how to cram some A-arms in there.

And I won't bash you for suggesting the WRX doesn't belong on the track. I think everyone agrees the WRX is a pig at the track. A fast, brute-force kinda pig. But it certainly doesn't have any finesse, and takes some manhandling to get it around a track quickly. Hell, my Miata has about 1/4 the horsepower of my WRX, and it's much, much slower... but it's like twice as much fun as the WRX at the racetrack. But that's because Mazda designed the car with fun handling specifically in mind. Subaru designed the Impreza with cheap build costs in mind... designs that STi (and Prodrive back in the WRC days) had to overcome in order to make the car a winner. Their only saving grace was that all their competition were also starting with econobox cars as their rally platforms as well.

The reason you got bashed about the rally thing is because you used to come off as suggesting that rally is the *only* thing the WRX/STi is good for. The reality is, just because the STi was modified from the Impreza with rally in mind doesn't mean that's the only thing it's good for, nor does it imply that the STi is all that perfect for rally. The STi isn't the best way over a dirt road... it's the best way over a dirt road under the Group-N rules. Setup a GT-R for rally, for example, and it would crush STis with it's better weight distribution, better power, better suspension geometry, better differentials, etc. All the same reasons why the GT-R crushes the STi at the racetrack. Dirt and tarmac aren't that different, from the perspective of car design... sure the extremes are on different ends of the spectrum, but the basic concept is still the same: getting the tires to grip the ground as much as possible, and give the driver the ability to control the car's slip angle easily. The only thing that's very rally-specific is that FWD tends to work a bit better than RWD, where tarmac the opposite is true. But in both sports, AWD (properly implemented) is better than either.

But anyway, I also don't expect the WRX to be anything spectacular in terms of a racing platform. It will likely be similar to the Impreza, since that's likely what will be underneath. The BRZ has a little more hope, because it's designed more in line with the Miata, i.e. as a fun car. It still has crappy suspension geometry when compared to the Miata, but it's much better than the Impreza. Also, there's very likely a turbo version coming, with the same motor that's in the FXT and this new WRX. A turbo and/or STi BRZ may be quite a good platform for racing, though RWD + rally doesn't work so well against AWD cars. But it would probably do well against other RWD cars in the dirt.

Edit: holy crap, I'm long winded.