View Single Post
Old 2004-02-16, 07:24 PM   #110
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Too bad the front/rear Wilwood systems for the WRX suck. I do know I will not be upgrading my brakes further until I find something that will increase braking power, not just fade resistance.
What source do you have for this assertion? I have not thuroughly researched the Wilwoods, but they appear to be the same Superlite 6s I have on my Stealth for the fronts, and I'm not sure which 4 pots for the rear? The 6 pots are quite impressive IMHO. Is this just a dust sheild issue, or is there imperical data out there on the Wilwoods?
The Wilwoods flex like Hanz and Franz under heavy pressure. Causes poor pedal feel. I had only heard this as a rumor until recently, but then a customer came into S-Squared complaining of poor pedal feel. 3 liters of bleeding later, it still felt like crap. Finally, during the last bleed session, Nate noticed the calipers flexing about 15 degrees before full pedal pressure had been reached. These were the 4 pot calipers, btw, which should be actually stiffer than the 6 pots.
15 degrees on what axis?
Which 4 pots? Wilwood makes two or three different 4 pot calipers.

Why do you feel the 6 pots would be less stiff? The 6s are a much larger caliper in every dimension with a different configuration than the 4s.

Also, I am unaware of a Wilwood 4 pot application for the WRX from Wilwood. The 6 pot Billet Superlite front kit from Wilwood is here: http://www.wilwood.com/products/kits/sl6bbhk/index.asp
The rear is a 4 pot kit based on the Billet Dynalite 4 pot caliper. It is only in their PDF file. http://www.wilwood.org/2003kitcatalog.pdf

I think someone else must have built a 4 pot kit using Wilwood parts that you saw or heard about, or they discontinued because I do not see a pert number for it in their stuff.Sounds like somebody threw together something with the wrong parts for the application.