View Single Post
Old 2012-11-22, 11:54 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default SECCS 10th Anniversary

Unbelievably, this Sunday, November 25, 2012 is our 10th Anniversary.

Way back in 2002, during the whole i-club/NASIOC split fiasco, we setup a nifty little phpBB forum over at doink.net. That forum helped us organize the original weekly meets of the club.

Here in fact is the very first thread on the forums: http://www.seccs.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1

Back then, I never would have imagined that there would still be a core group of folks that still post here every day a decade later. Surely, SECCS is no longer the club that it used to be, but it still provides a great place for local folks to get together and talk even if most of us have shifted our priorities away from owning a Subaru and towards things like having jobs and kids. I'd like to thank all the members; those of you who have been here for the last 10 years, and those of you that have joined us and stuck around over that time. SECCS is literally nothing without its members.

How about a little trip down memory lane?

This is pretty much everyone, circa Nov 2002, shortly before the site went live:

Xmas 2002 we went out in the snow near Galena.

Even saw an FX45 test mule doing winter testing before Nissan released it:

New years 2003, we were at the newly opened Tamarack. Remember when we used to pop our hoods and look at each others cars?

Karting at the Hilton in March '03:

The first of many days of SECCS domination of the 2003 Reno SCCA autocross season:

There was an F40 there that day...

We were meeting at Starbucks back then... here's DayOfPain's awesome WRX. RIP Phil.

Then we were meeting at Cantina Los Tres Hombres for a few weeks... definitely the era of the bugeye:

Summer of 2003, we moved over the the 4th Turn, across the street from Subaru. One of the dealers brought the 1st STi Lithia had for sale by the meet for us to drool over:

Look, we're like a real club or something. I wonder where that banner is these days?

Headed down to Sacramento to hang with the SRIC sister club:

We represented Reno SCCA at the NORPAC convention, even won the use of a WRX donated by Subaru for our efforts of bringing in new SCCA members... that we couldn't accept due to insurance cost.

In 2004, some of us tried out hands at Solo 1 to varying degrees of success:

Lap of the Lake charity drive:

In August, we hosted our own track day at RFR... Racecars, f-in racecars!!

In 2005, things took a turn for the absurd as MattR represented at Import Motion in Sacramento.

That must have been about the time the shark was jumped, because at that point, I stopped taking pictures at the meets/races. Also, that's around when my WRX was broken for the first long stint... which put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm.

Who else has any pictures or stories from the "good old days"?