View Single Post
Old 2011-05-10, 10:30 AM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default 24 (actual) Hours of LeMons

This weekend, Lemons is running a full 24 hour event (10am Saturday to 10am Sunday, if I remember the schedule correctly) out at Reno-Fernley this weekend.

Some of you know Fred Austin from Reno SCCA time trials / autocross. He's put together a well-beat ex-rally car, 1984 VW GTI. It's got a $65 1995 2.0L motor in it. Fred, Michel Hoche-Mong (who you may remember from the NN Rally), me and Jay from IVM ran the car to a 16th place overall finish in 2009.

This year, the car is back and we'll be running it in hopes of a top 5... though we don't know how much stiffer the competition may have gotten in the past 2 years. Fred, Michel and I are back to drive, plus we've picked up David White (who I've yet to meet) and rally car builder extraordinaire Guy Light. Guy's had a bunch of experience running VWs in rally, including building Pikes Peak and endurance cars. He's given Das Bucket an extensive once over and fixed up all the little things that were primed to bite us in the ass over a long 24 hour race (you know, like the axle nuts that were about to fall off, and the quart-per-hour main seal oil leak, and the half-disengaging clutch, and the shifter so sloppy it wouldn't go into 2nd...).

If anyone's bored this weekend and wants to watch some clunkers beat on each other, I think tickets are like $10 or so at the track.