View Single Post
Old 2004-02-09, 03:22 PM   #1
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Let's talk about brakes!

So, after my little jaunt around Reno-Fernely Raceway's road course, I think I need to start considering a brake upgrade if I'm going to be tracking the car frequently.

Here are the popular options, and my initial results from research:

StopTech - Big, bad ass, expensive ($1700), Gary Sheehan races on 'em! 2-piece rotors / fixed calipers. Some people have complained about excessive knockback and clicking, but they've got dust shields so their very streetable. Rotors and pads aren't too expensive. Rota Attacks and P1's will clear 'em, so I'll just need a new set of winter rims.

Prodrive - Very capable, on par w/ the StopTechs. Expensive and hard to find (ask Kevin!). Rotors and pads cost bank aparently. Very high quality, on par w/ OEM.

Brembo - Retarded expensive. Very few rim options. Not quite as good as the StopTechs performance wise, but higher quality and more streetable.

STi 4-pots - Affordable. Uses stock WRX rotors, so doesn't really increase heat resistance. Doesn't actually make the car stop better either, but adds much needed "feel" to the brakes. Fits under tons of rims, including 16"ers... except for the OEM WRX 16'x7.5"s!

Baer (GT Kit) - More affordable ($900) than the other BBKs. Single piece rotor but has high quality OEM C5 Corvette calipers! There's confusion as to the size of the rotor in this kit... some people claim is so big that it'll only fit under 18" rims! :shock:

TWR - Almost as expensive as the StopTechs, but has no dust seals so you'll have to rebuild them once a year on a daily driver. Front and Rear kit available.

Willwood - Good track kit, but no dust seals. Rave reviews for the 6pot front / 4pot rear setup on track. Some people complain about build quality. On par with StopTechs cost-wise.

So, I'm sure there's plenty of info I'm missing or simply got wrong, so feel free to corect me!

So far, I'm leaning towards the StopTechs, but they're about $700 more than I want to spend. I'd really like something along the lines of the Baer kit, considering the price, but I'd much rather get the 2 piece rotor (I know Austin had issues w/ his till he upgraded to the 2-piece, right?) and the Alcon calipers from the more expensive Baer kits (which I don't even think they make in a WRX fitment yet) since the C5 calipers are only 2 pots. By the time you add those parts to a Baer kit, I might as well be running the StopTechs, which are pretty much the most popular of the trackable WRX kits.

My goal isn't really to decrease my stopping distance so much as it's to prevent fade (yes, I'm aware you can go to a very agressive pas and fluid on the stockers for a zero-fade setup, but then you start melting plastic parts and ruining wheel bearings) and to increase positive feel. I *really* want a stiff as hell pedal that has next to no throw... I just want a brick inbetween the clutch and gas that slows the car down as I push on it. I've even thought about going to a single stage booster, but that seems like a far too complicated way to help the feel... when a BBK should do the same and help with fade.

What's everyone else's opinion? I know there's people out there w/ BBKs... let me know what works!