Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Nice Austin.... that's the kinda info I need. I heard, the 2 piece rotors prevent "coning" of the rotor as they heat up meaning less knockback and better pad wear in addition to the lighter rotor.... have you noticed a bevel on your worn pads, or does AutoX not really heat things up enough to notice that?
I haven't heard that before; I haven't noticed any irregular wear of my pads with the "Track" kit, but I haven't been out on an actual track, either.

I would tend to think the caliper and caliper mounting bracket stiffness would have the most effect on keeping the pad oriented true to the rotor surface, since they're mounted up there on a lever arm. Off the top of my head, I would also think 2-piece rotors would flex more under a given load, since AFAIK they use an aluminum center hat of roughly equivalent thickness to the iron hat they replace, and iron is a stiffer material than aluminum.
Coning comes from the contact surface of the rotor getting hotter much faster than the hat portion. Because the outside edge of the rotor is expanding more than the inside part, it tries to move outward, making the rotor have a larger radius. But since it can't, it tips to the side instead to allow the expansion. 2 piece rotors prevent this by allowing the inner portion of the rotor to change shape without binding against itself. 2 piece rotors have some play in the fasteners for that reason.