Old 2004-02-26, 09:05 AM   #16
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
It's hard to predict what will happen by changing the front bar only on a factory car; it's going to have different and sometimes conflicting effects. During cornering it's going to increase lateral load transfer at that pair of wheels, which will decrease the overall lateral force they'll produce, which would tend to produce understeer... but the increased roll resistance will probably mean less body roll in the corner which could give you a better dynamic camber angle for the outside tire - which means it would probably produce more lateral force. It will also affect the transients like turn-in response, since things will happen quicker with reduced body roll.

So, it's kind of hard to predict what would happen short of either running through some involved weight transfer & roll stiffness calculations for your car or finding some tribal knowledge from someone who's tried it with another STi and seen what happens. Sorry I can't help more than that.
Here's my guess:

You'll get the car to turn in a little better, and potentially have more front end grip from the better camber, but unless you can use that DCCD to hang the back end out, she won't turn.

We could always give it a shot at the Test n Tune... I've got that spare 20-22mm front bar... it might now fit any better than it did on my car, but it'll at least tell you if a stiffer bar helps or hurts. We should swap it on at lunch or somthing and see what the effect is.