View Single Post
Old 2015-09-03, 07:00 AM   #4
Kavid
EJ22

Car: 09 Impreza 2.5i Sedan No Turbo

I Want My WRX Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Sorry man, this board is pretty dead these days. Local folks have moved on to non-Subarus or have taken their car club discussions to RenoSCCA.org or Facebook.

Anyway, my first guess was your first guess: head gasket. But if the coolant is really clean, it seems unlikely. You might want to do one of those hydrocarbons tests on the coolant.

Otherwise, could you have lost a ringland? I didn't think that was common on the non-turbo cars. But I guess it's possible to burn a ton of oil with little smoke in the exhaust... at least until the cats burn out.

The oil being clear of metal is a good sign, you may not need to rebuild it. But the fact the motor was lugging after the oil light came on sounds pretty bad. So who knows. If you're DIY enough to do the head gaskets, that's what I'd do. If it doesn't work, you're just out the relatively low cost of parts plus a weekend of your time. Plus if the heads are off, you'll get a good look at the ring lands.

On the other hand, if you're handy enough to do a motor swap, a used 2.5i motor can't be that pricey. And you'll probably be good for enough time to drive it a bit or trade it in on something newer. Then again, that plan might work after just doing the head gaskets.
Thanks for the response sperry. Sorry to hear the forum has died for the most part that is unfortunate After posting on NASOIC the other day I have heard that with the two codes P0026 and P0028, that it automatically and immediately puts the car in limp mode where it runs like crap and limits your rpms which makes sense with the power loss I was getting after the Oil Pressure Light and the CEL, but I fear something internal has gone bad as well with the sounds it was making when it was running when it turned over at my house for a second. Almost makes me think about a bent rod or something to that nature but can't be sure until digging further into it. I am at a standstill though, I have to now wait for my friend Chris to get back from his week long camping trip with his family to get the inspection camera and his expertise as well to hopefully figure this out next week sometime.

Me and Chris are definitely handy enough to do a used motor swap no question, I have found some used 2.5i motors for my car with warranties for between $1650 and $2600 depending on mileage and what not with shipping included. I have been heavily contemplating trading my car in its condition on a lease for a new Impreza at Lithia though. I don't drive much so the mileage thing that bites everyone usually wouldn't apply and having a monthly payment again would suck because I just payed that thing off in December. But it would be a low monthly payment with little to no worries about the car going south being under warranty and trading my car in on it would take care of any up front money for the initial signing and any service needed for free. Decisions, Decisions...