View Single Post
Old 2009-04-14, 11:23 AM   #1
Dewey
EJ251

Car: 98 RSTi Unicorn!
Class: Street Modified
Default Cleaning your headlamp lenses...

In order to keep the Post SUM Pics thread on topic, I thought I would post this here for those of you who were asking about how to clean their headlamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Buffer? What would you suggest?

I used toothpaste and my finger on a scratched CD years ago after I was told this would work but it only made the CD hazy and didn't remove any scratches.
A good buffer that you would use on your paint would be good. I use a Makita 9227C. It is one of the best buffers out there, but you need to know how to work one. A dual-action polisher probably wont work for this application. The pad will also make a big difference. I would use one of the tougher eggshell foam pads for something like this.

Also, if you do insist on using toothpaste make sure not to use one that you can easily feel the grit in. You want to use one like Colgate, something that is more like a paste than a rough sandpapery feel.

With all the technology available to us for removing pits/scratches in plastics, I wouldn't use toothpaste on a headlamp lens.

The Meguire's two step process works fairly well, and it doesn't require machine buffing. PlastiX is also a good bet.

If that still doesn't work go for a 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper. Work your way up in grit levels. Then finalize it with a plastic cleaner, then with a plastic polish.

Sooner or later, I will post a pictured tutorial on how to do this.. But, my headlamps aren't badly damaged yet.

-Chris