View Single Post
Old 2012-02-25, 09:19 AM   #2
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

I have been sketching intake manifold designs on napkins for years now, and I think I have a concept that I will develop finally. Not going to disclose it yet, but there are some things I can share for now.

First order of business was getting some flanges designed and machined for bolting to the TGV housing. To do this I needed to decide on a runner size. I am going with 2.5" diameter x .080" wall tubing for the following reasons:
  • .080" wall thickness for a stronger cracking-resistant runner compared to typical .065".
  • Theoretical calculations on runner size point to 2.25" to 2.5" being the optimum size.
  • The TGV opening is 2.2" stock, and many people open it up a little when porting. This is a better port match to the 2.5" tubing. 2.38" tube bends are not readily available in .080".

The only problem with the big 2.5" runner size is it puts the welds too close to the bolt locations. So I designed a flange that will use countersunk socket-head screws. Below are some Solidworks renderings produced by SECCS member AtomicLabMonkey, Austin. It also features counterbores for the runner tubing to aid fabrication. I am pretty happy with the way it looks and the cost to CNC machine it is pretty low. My welder, Ray is also happy with the design from a fabrication standpoint. I have a dozen of these on order already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subaru_Intake_Manifold_Flange_iso2.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	6367  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Subaru_Intake_Manifold_Flange_wireframe2.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	6368  

Attached Images

Last edited by knucklesplitter; 2012-02-26 at 08:51 AM.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote