View Single Post
Old 2008-10-21, 10:58 AM   #157
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

802.11b = slower <=11mbps, 802.11g = faster <=54mbps. Either is OK and likely faster than most Internet connections if you have a clean signal.

If it is secured, it is likely using WEP or WPA. WPA is more secure, but older wireless cards can't use it. WEP is fine for most people.

Go back into the router setup and change channels! It should be in the wireless setup. Every linksys in the universe defaults to the same channel, I think 11 and if there are others nearby, they get unhappy. Especially if you are in an apartment complex and your neighbor's router through the wall happens to be closer to your PC/X-Box than your router across the apartment.

If you fire up your PC and scan for networks, it should show you what channels they are on. Pick a channel # as far away from any other network you can see with your PC. Turn off your router first may help see others.

Did you say your X-box is hard wired and it still sucks? If so, it is not the wireless, it is your Internet connection or something in your router config.

The hard wired PC is fine?

The wiring should look something like this... Wall plug( DSL or Cable) ---> Modem ---> WAN port on Router. If it doesn't look like that, what does it look like?

Anything can be wired directly to the switch ports (likely 1-4) on the router. The hard wired devices can all be off, and wireless will still work if wired as above.

What is hard wired to the router ports?