View Single Post
Old 2010-04-08, 10:30 AM   #1
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."
Default Tranny whine

And I don't mean I have a problem with an upset transsexual.

Recently my transmission started whining a bit in 4th and 5th gear. The noise is different between the two gears - quieter and higher-pitched in 4th, and a little louder and deeper in 5th - and increases slightly in volume and pitch as speed/rpms increase. 1, 2, and 3 make no noise, and the 4/5 whines stop entirely while the car is in neutral while shifting.

It started on its own, is pretty subtle, and has not been accompanied by any other symptoms. I don't beat on 4th and 5th, but do spend more time in those two gears than any other.

My last gear oil change was almost 30,000 miles ago, so I'm due for a change soon anyway. I used Mobil1 synthetic last time, but don't care for the feel of it and will be switching to something else this time around. I also haven't checked my gear oil level in the last couple of months, so I suppose it could be low. I'll be checking that tonight.

I ran a search and didn't come up with any other threads that cover gear whine. Any ideas? Are there more serious problems that this could be foreshadowing?