Old 2006-05-09, 06:58 PM   #21
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Cracking is about heat, not wear. Any pad/rotor/load combination that could generate the kind of heat required would cause cracking. My rotors cracked due to an overtaxed brake system, not a pad compound.

The greens and reds have been great pads every time I have used them.
That's fine and dandy. But you can't deny that these pads have a public reputation for being hard on rotors. I know you like to believe that you know more than everyone to the point that even when 1000 people agree on something you can still think they're all wrong, but let's face it, the EBC's probably didn't get their reputation because all these people all tried EBC's and just happened to ruin their rotors quickly due to execessive driving while driving more carefully on every other pad they've tried.

Now, I heard not too long ago that EBC had attempted to address the issue, but I never heard about the results.

Quote:
I don't know why you say one set of rotors per pad? I have only gone through 1 set of WRX rotors, and one set of Stoptechs, both of which were previously used, and at least 3 sets of WRX pads, and many sets of Stoptechs.
The complaints (back in 2002 or so when I was last shopping for pads) was that one set of EBC pads "ruined" the rotors. By my math, that's 1 set of rotors per set of pads.

Quote:
The "used" stock rotors you had were 2mm under minimum Scott, so they were long past dead, cracks or not, you just didn't know it, and I'm not sure how many other sets you went through. So don't throw stones about rotor wear.
Who's throwing stones? My *used* rotors were 2mm under min... but they weren't cracked. The only rotors that I "ruined" as opposed to "used up" were the ones that came off my car after the RFR track day where I severely overheated them. I let things get so hot that the pads stopped wearing (remember they came off the car with more than half their thickness left), and instead the rotors began wearing. And even then, they weren't as bad as the spiderwebs you had on your rotors... they were just severly grooved.

You tout yourself as some master of racecraft that can stop on a dime with a fairy's foot of brake pressure... and I'm actually inclined to agree that you *are* very gentle on brakes, even when using them hard. So I've gotta ask again, isn't it likely that those EBC's did excessive damage to your rotors that a less-harsh pad perhaps wouldn't have?

Quote:
ROTORS ARE A WEAR ITEM. If you want to stop a 3000lb car repeatedly from speed in a short distance, you will use up rotors, period, no matter what pads you use.
Thanks for repeating what nobody is arguing. Using rotors *is* expected. Having them trashed prematurely is not.