Old 2012-03-08, 11:54 AM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Phister View Post
My PE850s are fine. I have stock idle and passed smog with them on pump gas. I will need to go larger for E85 and high boost. It's going to require me to redo my entire fuel system so I'm evaluating my options.
I thought that going larger for E85 doesn't affect idle since you will need that much more E85 at idle. Injector-wise, everything should scale linearly based on the lower energy content of E85 vs. gasoline. The extra boost you get to run on E85 is because E85 is higher octane... you shouldn't have to add significant fuel for the added boost, should you? At least not to the point where you're running injectors so large it won't idle.

1000cc injectors on E85 idle the same as 850cc injectors on gas, don't they? Or are you planning on building an E85 capable fuel system, but also run gas on occasion with another map? I could see issues with idle/smog if you're trying to run a 91 octane map on 1000cc injectors. But really, I'd just stick to E85 all the time over trying to use some multi-injector system.

I dunno, I'm not up on the E85 stuff since it's such a huge PITA to get it in Reno I haven't even considered it. Are people having significant idle issues on E85? I'd think by now people would have solutions for this, and I've never heard of people using 8 injectors on an STi.