View Single Post
Old 2007-11-20, 09:23 PM   #101
dustinr
EJ18

Car: '04 Porsche Turbo X50, '05 STi, '05 Evo MR, '02 Ducati 998, '02 Ducati MH900e

love the quote "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I guess I'm missing the point where you're showing me how a Ferrari is better than a Camry for getting from point A to B. Even on the Autobahn, you're not using the potential of the Ferrari... the difference between topping out at 140mph vs. 180mph isn't all that much in terms of average speed, i.e. the Ferrari is not going to reduce your overall trip time by much. Additionally, the Camry is probably much safer, even at autobahn speeds. So, with the exception of much nicer aesthetics, what's better about a Ferrari?

And as far as the race track goes... a Ferrari isn't any faster than any other modded car of similar power/weight ratio that can be had
If you look at it the way you do, that cars are only to get you from point A to Point B, then the only "things" that would make one car better than any other would be personal choice.
They will all get you to where you want to go, so in that regard only, there's no car that's better than any other car; unless you start assigning value to what you find important in your personal transportation. Do you value fuel economy? Do you value 0-60, 1/4 mile, cornering ability, stopping ability? Some cars are going to better than others at what you value. So will a Camry stop from 140mph as quickly and as stable as a purpose built sports car? Probably not, so the sports car is better in that regard and many others in my personal value system.
A Camry at 140 mph isn't going to be as stable as a GT-R, so the GT-R is better in regards to high speed stability. And if you've driven those speeds, then you are aware that the difference from 140mph to 180mph is HUGE! Moot point here in the land of 65.

Why do you drive a Subaru? Why don't you drive an SRT-4? Evidently there's something in the Subaru that you assign more value to? Something that you like "better" than a camry?
dustinr is offline   Reply With Quote