Old 2009-01-28, 11:09 AM   #38
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Looks great Scott. Almost looks like a new engine bay. My poor engine bay is a mess after the last blow up and the pretty new '07 block is covered in oil and crap. I'll be dragging the chassis out into the driveway to scrub and pressure wash it like you did while it is empty.

I hope those other idlers hold up and you don't have to open it up again.

Did you use any rtv or anything on the valve cover gaskets in addition to the new gaskets themselves? The STI covers appear to have had some rtv help in some places, or perhaps it is just squished and heated gaskets.
My WRX was in the same shape after that season with the perpetually exploding oil catch cans. I did just what you mentioned... parked it at the end of the driveway and gunk'd it and pressure washed it. I also made sure to give the environment a big middle finger too while I was doing it. Then once the motor was out and getting rebuilt at the shop I did a second hand scrubbing of the engine bay in the garage, then repainted it with Ford blue in a rattle can since it's about a 99% match to the undercoat color on the WRB cars.

I used RTV in spots on the WRX valve covers just to tack them down during install. But the SVX gaskets are kind of a different, harder material and they more or less "install" into the cover, so you don't need to tack them down. Also, they're way more complicated than they need to be, and yet still require gasketed washers for all 10 bolts per cover, rather than the better WRX design that puts all the bolts outside the gaskets.

I will say though that having the intake cams geared to the exhaust cams makes installing the timing belt like 30 times easier on the EG33 than the EJ motors. But it also mean not only is there no AVCS, it's not even a remote possibility as a retrofit job.