Old 2006-03-07, 11:50 AM   #7
M3n2c3
EJ205

Car: 2005 Impreza 2.5RS, 2000 Forester L
Class: RNP sometimes (see motto)

"Kids are ruining autocross."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
If it was my 3300+ pound track car, I'd start with wheels and tires, then do all the brake stuff, up to and including a set of Stoptechs. Putting good suspension on a fast car means higher exit speeds, which means higher top speeds, which means more work for the brakes at the next corner. Your car may or may not need big brakes for RFR as it sits (though you DO need better pads and fresh rotors and possibly stainless steel lines) but it definitely will after your suspension improves.
Yeah. . . I fully intend to put some work in to my brakes before taking it to track. The stock brakes are fine for daily driving, but I want something I can count on at the track.

Dean, I like that list

It's definitely a good idea to start stock. It's certainly helpful to ask others what mods they would recommend you start with, but it's something else entirely to take your car out and discover - as you're knocking over cones - precisely what you want to start with to make the car handle the way you want.

On the ride home after my first autox, I decided that my first change would be springs/struts. The stock RS suspension (at least these days) sits insanely high and rolls like a bitch. Now, having put a little over 5000 highway miles on the coilovers I chose, I feel comfortable saying that unless you absolutely have to have adjustable ride height, save yourself some back pain and just go with a good spring/shock upgrade.

I noticed that DSMtuners had KYB AGX struts and springs from both Eibach and Tein. I think a combination of those would be a good choice when you decide to upgrade - since the AGXs are damping adjustable, the only thing you really lose vs. an affordable set of coilovers is the height adjustment.