View Single Post
Old 2007-04-12, 03:04 PM   #32
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Thanks for taking the time out for that post scott, it really helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
Going with a wider tire means more contact patch which improves stopping and latteral grip, but if you too wide for a given rim, the handeling get's mushy from the sidewall rolling over and grip can actually be worse. I agree with Matt. In most cases 235 on a 7.5" rim would be ideal (as long as it doesn't rub). Some 245 wide tires might offer more grip, but possibly at the cost of spongy handleing and you wouldn't like the way it looks.
When I asked earlier "Is there a benefit to going bigger?" I wasnt really refering to width as I was to Height. I asked that after matt said his wheels/tires were taller then stock. I just know that from when I had my truck(which I know is way more of a size difference then we are talking about here) and put bigger tires on it, the noise went up, gas mileage went down, and braking ability went down. Does Scotts below statement about wider also apply to taller tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
Bigger tends to mean more traction, which means better braking, higher lateral G's, better acceleration (if you were traction limited to begin with). But it also means, more tramlining, more noise, worse mileage, and worse acceleration (if they're heavier and you weren't traction limited to begin with).