View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 06:15 PM   #43
knucklesplitter
EJ205

Wish in one hand and sh*t in the other...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post
I guess boost target is kinda useful. Just put a 1:1 throttle map on all 3 SI Drive settings, then have like a 12 psi low map, 16 psi standard map, and an 18 psi scramble map.

Actually... would that work? Or is "I" mode different. It's supposed to be adaptive according to the marketing literature from Subaru, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.
"I" mode is no more "adaptive" than the others, or than anything ever on the USDM WRX+, as far as I know.

If I were in charge at Subaru (ha!), this is what I would do:

"Teh Gas Mizerz" Mode:
- Some kind of low-flow air pump to keep wastegate open at all times and kill boost as much as possible (patent pending?)
- Closed/Open Loop transition table to keep it in closed loop for as long as safe.
- Fuel and timing tables to match.
- Some ghey-ass throttle mapping to satisfy gas-mileage standards even when driven by a C-average 17yo rich kid with a lead foot, a little dick, and/or a Napoleon complex (flat-brim hat not included).

"Intelligent" Mode:
- A 12psi target boost map that tapers off the turbo at higher RPM (to let it live longer).
- Closed/Open Loop transition tables to keep it in closed loop for as long as safe (at this boost mapping).
- Fuel and timing table tables to match.
- Cable-throttle-like throttle mapping.

"Sport" Mode:
- A 16psi target boost map that tapers off the turbo at higher RPM (to let it live longer).
- Closed/Open Loop transition tables to keep it in closed loop for as long as safe (at this boost mapping).

"Tuner" Mode:
- A 20psi target boost map with minimal boost taper at higher RPM (and this turbo can handle it even here at 4500', albeit with reduced life...)
- Transition to open loop above 0psi.
- Launch control and flat-foot shifting.
- Signed waver, worldwide registration, and warranty is null and void.
knucklesplitter is offline   Reply With Quote