Old 2009-02-03, 07:45 AM   #55
MPREZIV
Token

Car: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: 05 TDSP

No, I won't work on your car. F* your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey View Post
Okay, so for everyone in this thread that has replaced cam & crank seals.. what is the easiest method of removing old ones? When I did mine it was a bitch and a half to get them out. Simple picks and such did not work at all. As I recall I ended up using a little screwdriver that I'd kinda drive into the outer rim of the seal housing at a diagonal with a tap of a hammer, and then lever that part of the housing outwards. I went around the circumference of the seals doing this until they came out. I worried about scarring up the bore that the seal housing fits into with this method though..
That's exactly what I do. There's a few tools out there that are supposed to make removing seals like that easier, but I've never found it worth spending the money on one since the screwdriver works. As you mentioned tho, you do have to be careful not to scratch the cam or bore...