View Single Post
Old 2005-01-28, 04:45 PM   #36
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Another limitation is that the stock ECU can't monitor knock at about 5500-6500 rpm, because at those RPMs normal engine noise is the same frequency as detonation, so the sensor is disabled. That's where CAIs, if they're particularly poorly designed, can cause damage directly.
Ah ha. That would be bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
1) Different tube diameters, basically. Even a millimeter difference is sufficient for screwball reading. Plus, the relationship between air flow and MAF sensor voltage is non linear, so it's also not a simple across the board correction to fix it. I've done some serious soapboxing on this subject on i-club, I'll go find it in a few minutes.
Okay, on my car the MAF is a distinct tube section of its own, that looks something like this:

Even if you change something else in the intake tract, all that extra air still has to flow through the same diameter tube that the meter and computer are calibrated for, and will consequently be going the right speed to give an accurate reading.

Is it a different arrangement on your cars? Does installing a CAI mean people are pulling the sensor hardware out of the factory tube and plugging it into a bigger one or something?