View Single Post
Old 2012-12-04, 02:01 PM   #1
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!
Default Another new MECCS member

I'd been looking for another project car for a while, since I got rid of all my VWs, and basically finished what I wanted to do to the STi until it becomes a dedicated track slut. Now that the STi is a dedicated daily driver and day-care commuter, I'm hesitant to even autocross it in fear of breaking something.

So, I searched Craigslist and whatnot trying to find something that peaked my interst - AE86s, 240SXs, other VWs, Porsches I couldn't afford, etc. I ended up picking up a Miata as I've had a hankering to mess one up for a while. It's pretty rough. But it was fairly cheap. It should end up being a cheap little car to thrash around and sell if a decent offer comes my way. So, I'll be swapping out the suspension, fitting wheels/tires, maybe doing some interior work, and throwing it around. First up, though, is maintenance.

Basic stats - '91 Miata, base 5-speed model manual windows but it does have AC and PS. Former owner was a smoker. It stinks. Need to vacuum it and steam clean, and not sure if that'll make a difference.
- 203k on chassis - but apparently the engine has 60k.
- 1.6L short nose.
- "The guy that had it before me had it all ready for racing with a bunch of bracing and stuff" - this equates to a set of sway bars.
- Some repaint, and honestly some of the worst work I've ever seen.
- Special Rear Window Package, pics below.
- Special Seating and Roll Protection Package, pic below.
- Special Suspension Package, pic below.
- Special Super Spark Package, pic below.

The day (night) I brought it home, in a heavy rain and wind storm, on shit tires (and honestly a ton of fun):

The STi is sleeping outside until I get the back window fixed

The next day, last Saturday, embarking on some maintenance: oil, tranny fluid, spark plugs (couldn't find a decent set of wires as Summit was off limits for fear of flooding. I took pics first:

Special Rear Window Package:

Special Seating and Roll Protection Package:

Special Suspension Package:

(Stock)

Illumina with lowering spring (I have the other three springs, brand new, but only the one shock):

Special Super Spark Package:

That's all for now. Parts on the way. Timing belt service, coolant flush, rear diff, etc. And I might address the Special Spark, Suspension, and Rear Window Packages.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote