View Single Post
Old 2013-01-02, 10:17 AM   #20
rory_a
EJ251

Car: Miata, shit.
Class: Out Classed

NOW WITH 100% LESS STI!

Since I was planning to keep this updated in the form of a build thread, I picked up a 1.8 in San Jose just before Christmas. Will be working on prepping to pull out the 1.6 and cleaning up the 1.8 for install. The engine I bought had been installed in a 1.6 car, pulled for LS swap. So, I scored a 1.8 header mated to 1.6 down pipe so I can retain my O2 sensor wiring, and it came with an older Flyin Miata clutch and pressure plate setup as well as an older Flyin Miata two-core all aluminum radiator.

Scored some sore of aftermarket exhaust at Nevada Auto Wrecking. I'll try to install that in place of the current exhaust to see if it'll mate, or have it modified to mate by an exhaust shop once I have the 1.8 swap installed and driving as I don't have a tig setup. (if I did, I'd be pie-cutting the tip to make a turndown )

Also, installed the Flyin Miata V-Maxx non-adjustable coilovers. Debating flares. I'll eventually add some, just out of funds so it's not the best time...

Fronts on ( a bit too low currently):

As stated rears are a bit too high, but are at around a quarter inch above axle/perch contact:

Front sitting on tire, have some work to do:

Did some work on the left rear (all I had time and patience for), it was so cold that I had to heat to the point of bubbling paint to avoid cracking, and cooled so fast it still cracked and flaked. Guess I'll be doing a bit of touch up:

Rear needs to go down a bit, front needs to come up a hair. Haven't been able to find any reports on how much the V-Maxx settle, so I'm going to raise the front to match the rear and see where I'm at after a few hundred miles.

Will be doing enough fender work to move the car around, then onto the engine swap. The wheels look good enough I'm happy with having to pull the fenders this much. Planning to hammer and dolly in a bit of a flare. At one point on the future I will end up with some flares so not super concerned with perfect body work.
rory_a is offline   Reply With Quote