View Single Post
Old 2004-11-06, 08:49 PM   #1
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.
Default The last? brake fluid thread... HA

Edited 11:13PM 11/6/04 due to my misreading the price on the Neo web page.
__________________________________________________ __________________

OK, I picked up some Ford brake fluid Friday, but decided to do some camparisons just for yucks, and got some interesting results...
I had a couple base criteria. Price, < $1.00/oz, and > 500 degree f dry boiling point, and 284 f or > wet.. This eliminated many, and I pared more that didn't have the bang for the buck.

Ford/Motorcraft High Peformance is locally available in single small bottles for cheap. If you bleed very often, and don't want to wait/pay shipping, it is the choice.

ATE Type 200/ATE Super Blue: Due to it's higher wet BP is a better choice if you bleed less often, and is almost as good as the Ford dry. The 2 different colors are great for flushing since you can tell when you are done, but the large bottles, almost 3x the size of the Ford mean you may end up throwing some away since you don't want to use an open bottle after a month or 2 IMHO. I have not found it locally, but haven't looked real hard. Best Froogle cost is actually lower per ounce than the Ford, but shipping and waiting will cost you.

Motul 600: This probably the best choice for best performance in this price range, and a good choice for people who really don't like to bleed, or flush. The BPs kick both the ATE, and Ford stuff in the butt, and it is only twice the cost. Again, no idea if it is available locally, or at what price.

NEO SUPER DOT 610: This stuff is right at my limit of $1.00 per ounce and wasn't that much better than the Motul, so I wasn't even going to include it. If you realy don't want to bleed/change your fluid, it might be worth the almost double the price from the Motul, but I don't think it is that much better.

It might be interesting to switch between Motul, and ATE Super Blue. Maybe I'll try some Motul for the heck of it before my next winter event.

Product size price $/ounce DryBP/WetBP price from

Ford/Motorcraft 12oz. $3.58 $0.30/oz 550/284 Jones-West Ford per bottle retail price, case discount avaialable...
ATE 33.8oz $9.00 $0.27 536/392 TDI parts
Motul 600 16.9oz $9.50 $0.56/0z 593/420 Oneida Suzuki
NEO SUPER DOT 610 12oz $11.95 $1.00/oz 610/421 Baker Precision

All prices are the best I could find as of 11/6/04 from Froogle, or what I really paid at Jones West on 11/5/04

Info and impulse to do this from...
Colorado Region SCCA
Volvo Maintenance FAQ
Stoptech

Last edited by Dean; 2006-09-04 at 10:13 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote