Old 2009-06-26, 10:27 AM   #1508
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
If it was at 5:45 on the way from downtown to Stead, somewhere, I'd go more often. For me, T, W, or Th are all good.
I don't think that will never happen. The only people that can get to downtown at 5:45 are people that either leave work everyday at 4pm (and can fight the traffic to get there by 5:45) or are people that are already downtown around that time. Considering I don't even get off work until 6 most nights, that's not something I'd attend.

And as far as the meets in general: the reason no one comes is because they're not fun anymore. And they're not fun because no one comes. Sure, it sounds like a chicken/egg thing, but really, if someone comes out for the first time and their whole experience is hanging out with 3 people and listening to Dean and Kevin "discuss" the finer points of something totally uninteresting, well I can't blame them for not coming back. The loss of all our "regulars" to real-life stuff like marriage, work, etc. has left the meets lightly attended which in turn has kept new people from turning into regulars.

And then of course there's the Flat4 element. But I don't have much to say about that except that if people prefer the Flat4 meet to the SECCS meet, that's totally their prerogative. Personally, I'm not interested in hanging out w/ a bunch of people that are doing all the stuff we did 7 years ago, because every conversation about Subarus ends up being a conversation I've had 100 times already. But I can totally understand the folks new to the cars having a better time there than at our meets.

So where this leaves our meet, I don't know. We have a clear vacuum in attendance, since there is no longer the original core group of 5 or 6 folks that make every meet, and I don't see a group of newer members that care to step up and make the meets their own. If there were a bunch of you guys that were telling me "hey the 5 of us will always be able to make the meet if it were at location X and time Y" then by all means, let's make that change. But so far it sounds like changing the meet will result only in switching around the 2 or 3 people that show up.