Old 2009-02-22, 12:29 PM   #1
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.
Default Rifle Team 2009

OK, this year should be EPIC!

Actually, since I took over Match Directing duties for the Varmint Silhouette, I'm also promoting the matches to those who might be interested. I'm purely volunteering my time to organize it, as I think it is important to keep the shooting sports healthy.

Basically - the matches are run by the Palomino Valley Gun Club, using the Washoe County facilities (but on our "private" ranges) out Pyramid Lake Highway. I participate in the Military Rifle Silhouette and the Varmint Silhouette action, occasionaly in the High Power and Long Range matches.

Both of the Silhouette matches require only the most basic of equipment, and the Varmint lends itself well to inexpensive ammunition (very important these days).

Match fees are $15 per Adult, and $5 for Juniors. Juniors are welcome if a responsible adult is there to guide them - we actually had a shoot-off for the First Place Junior last Saturday, it was pretty cool.

The general course-of-fire descriptions for all the PVGC matches can be found here: http://palominovalleygunclub.homeste...criptions.html

However, feel free to ask about anything if you are interested. If you would like me to put you on my email list for Vamint info, let me know.

Here is the schedule for my Varmint Matches this year (all matches start at 8:30 as of right now, be there around 8:00):
Saturday March 14
Saturday April 25
Saturday June 27
Saturday Sept 12
Saturday Oct 24

Equipment - for Varmint, all you need is ear/eye protection, and a rifle with the ability to hit targets from the standing and sitting positions out to 200 yards. Rimfires are considered too light, but everything from a .22 Hornet up to .308 gets used on a regular basis. The ideal setup is a hunting-weight .223 or similar with a light optic, although it is perfectly possible to use open sights - I've done it a few times myself. No steel core rounds please, they tear up the steel silhouettes.....
Sometimes I (or someone else) has a spare rifle available for interested shooters to try a match with, as long as they pick up the ammo, I just need to know in advance.

Remember, these are not hard-core competitions, they are "fun" matches where we get to practice our rifle-handling skills and safety, test ourselves against the next guys, and the only prizes are ribbons and kudos. it is totally possible to win with the least-expensive rig out there, believe me....

Hope to see some new shooters this year!
Attached Images

Last edited by ScottyS; 2009-02-22 at 12:58 PM.
ScottyS is offline   Reply With Quote