View Single Post
Old 2006-02-10, 03:21 PM   #18
dustinr
EJ18

Car: '04 Porsche Turbo X50, '05 STi, '05 Evo MR, '02 Ducati 998, '02 Ducati MH900e

love the quote "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Actually, the Radical is street legal everywhere but the US. The single lap street car record for the Nurburgring is held by a Radical.

Now if the T1 actually gets built it may be street legal in the UK/Europe, but I guarentee that car will never pass DOT regulations for street use. Unless they release a version that's about 6 inches higher off the ground and put bumpers and airbags on it.

As far as the pricing... in the US a Radical SR3 costs around $75,000... the SR4 about $50,000. And I wouldn't need a V8 SR8 to run circles around some rich dude in his toy, all I need is to lift his gearbox off the ground once, and I guarentee he'll stay out of my way.

Regarding the price of the SR9... considering it's a purpose build Le Mans Prototype 2 and all, I'd say $300,000 is dirt cheap compared to something like the Porsche LMP2 car that I'd guess costs at least twice as much:

Radicals are awesome track cars, there's no denying that. 6:55 lap at The Ring is stellar. But as a street car, something you can drive around town? Not my first choice. That's like driving a shifter kart on the street. I bet in Europe you see Radicals being driven to the grocery store all the time; great date car too, "Sorry about the hair honey!" ..."What?" "Sor-ry bout the hair!"..."What?" ..."NEVER MIND, I'll tell you when we stop!" (hehe).

I like the idea of cars that have a compromise of both worlds. A car that turns, brakes and accelerates at 3G's like a track only car, and also has an enclosed cockpit, will probably have a stereo and a few frills like a street car, and you could drive it more than just weekends. That's way cool. Like the Dauer 962.

A race car that was converted into a street car with frills. The Areial Atom is another track/street car which would be a blast to drive like the Radical, but it wouldn't be fun as a daily driver. Maybe if Radical made an enclosed cockpit I'd be more thrilled about it.
dustinr is offline   Reply With Quote