View Single Post
Old 2009-09-20, 03:56 PM   #20
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
I know I need the axle and the bearing. The first post is a little wild. What exactly would you tell the shop, Dean?
Not sure I understand the question, but here goes.

It has to be torn down to see if the spindle, bearing retainer, etc. are hurt. You need a full parts list...

Bearing part numbers and seal part numbers in first Post are Non-Subaru, so can be matched or cross referenced, except maybe Nissan #. I do not have the generic #s for the Subaru bearing, but they are in one of the referenced thread. You don't want those, and don't let them convince you they are the same. You want the Nissan bearing, NTN or SKF numbers listed above, or don't buy it. Again, I have not read those threads for updates, or can I verify that the new Nissan number is actually the same improved bearing, but trust Matt/Cory enough to add it to the first post.

You can get the Subaru seals and retainers if you want/need. It is all about the harder bearing with the improved cage.

Axles are axles, there is no reason to pay up, or not to buy a used one with good boots from a club member or wrecking yard. CVs seldom if ever fail with good boots unless beat upon or run dry which doesn't happen unless the boot fails really.

Did that help? Unless you know this shop, I would still suggest asking Pat H. if he is interested. He is a good mechanic and is right there in Fernley, and could use the work. Also has a trailer to get it to his place if needed.

If you want to bring it back to Reno, I could do it with my trailer, but it will cost you gas and such...