sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItRev
Hey Mike,

I made it to the second part of the meet last night and heard about your investment with COBB.

For those of us not able to see/hear/salivate over your mods, can you tell us how it went?

Your car is an 04, correct? How many miles did you have on it at that point and what did they say about the warranty being voided etc?

What was installed and was it run on a dyno after? Results?

I am considering the same mods but fear warranty issues; at least for now!

Thanks for sharing.....

Franz
I hate to say it, but if you want to protect your warranty, then don't mod your car at all. IMO Subaru is very "stick up the ass" when it comes to warranty work. Their policy is "deny first, then reevaluate once the customer complains". It's just the way they play the game.

The good thing is that with all the clubs and contacts available to the Subaru Enthusiasts, and with the high quality of cars coming out of Japan, in the rare event you have a problem with your modded car, you've got tons of resources for getting things fixed for lower than dealer costs. It won't be free like it should be from the dealer under warranty, but you won't end up paying $700 because your CV is leaking.

As the saying goes "you have to pay to play". I put my confidence in Subaru of Japan to build a great car, and my confidence in myself and other enthusiasts to know how to mod a car safely. I've never heard a story about someone with a carefully modded car blowing up somthing, or breaking something expensive. It's always the story of some 18 yr old kid throwwing a boost controller on his car and "turning it all the way up" that blows a motor, not the guy spending a few grand on a sick staged kit from Cobb or Vishnu. The closest I can think of something bad happening to someone that knows what they're doing was Egan's Vishnu Stage 2 eating 3rd gear... which is kinda expected considering all the track miles he put on the car with 350+ hp!