Thread: Dyno Numbers
View Single Post
Old 2004-04-05, 11:18 AM   #31
Nate@s-s
n00b

Hey guys,
just to answer a few questions about the dyno, what it can log, and temperature etc.

Our dyno uses a digital weather station that compensates for temperature, humidity etc. So the readings throughout the day would be standardized (more info on that in the link that Tyson posted, btw good find Tyson) . Heat soak however is a large issue, we make sure to temp the engine/IC before every run to try to keep things as consistent as possible.

The dyno cannot log boost, they have an option for it and after looking at it I preferred to use our deltadash software for any boost / timing logging as its going to be more accurate. We do have wideband afr logging with the dyno though. These are things we can do, but Saturday was a baseline only day, we can do more logging etc if you want, just give us a call and set something up.

The strange thing is how some of the cars from Reno were producing larger numbers than average. I believe nick is spot on with his explanation on timing etc (the ecu may be very very eager to add timing at your elevation) but the only way to know for absolute is to run a log of the ecu timing on a Reno car. If dean doesn’t object maybe I will run his again before we start on the mod work and log timing etc and see where we are at.

As far as Matt w the cobb stage one, despite that cobb's dyno is set to read a little higher from what I have been told.( most dyno manufacturers set the dynos to read closer to a dynojet for the US, mustang doesn’t, although the end user can request a custom config so that it does read a little higher. Dyno Dynamics does turn theirs up from the factory etc . ) But Matt also was in a front-end accident a while ago in which his timing covers were hit, we found later in the evening that he had what sounded like a very out of adjustment couple of valves on the passenger side head, which could have a great deal to do with why his car reads low. But.... a stock wrx on a factory calibration produces between 150-155 HP on a mustang dyno on average so that actually puts Matt’s car about where it should be.

Oh and for those who want to know, the drivetrain losses on a wrx are approx 75HP, so a 150 atw is 225 at the crank.

Any other q's let me know, I hope everyone enjoyed the trip to the shop. One thing not to forget though, every car will read slightly different, I have seen throughout the years "gifted" cars that put down more power than they should have stock, although I don’t think Dean's and Tyson's cars were (I believe it has more to do w the elevation etc) that could be the case w the STI's as their ecu's are tuned more on the ragged edge to begin w.

Thanks,
-Nate
Nate@s-s is offline   Reply With Quote