Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
They used the same wheels? No upsize in tire diameter? And what dyno did they use? Load-based dynos shouldn't be affected by rotating mass, but inertia-type dynos might be.
I'm not sure, I only saw the "after" episode, where they installed a BBK and an exhaust and lost horsepower. They were all confused and had to make a phone call to someone that knew better to tell them it was loss due to the BBK's additional inertia becuase the rotors were so much bigger (the BBK was actually lighter than the stock brakes, but the rotor diameter was much larger). In the end they decided it was acceptable loss because they'd be able to go so much deeper into the corners that overall the car would be faster ont he track.
Probably just day-to-day, dynos-never-lie differences. Plus, high-strung factory engines, like the RSX, S2000, 350Z, etc. tend to lose power with typical bolt-on exhausts.
I still have a hard time buying the rotors causing that much of a difference. The calipers and pads wouldn't affect the rotating mass at all. Yet another testimonial that dyno results all need to be taken with a large pile of salt.