Old 2011-03-17, 03:46 PM   #25
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
You wrote PDX is safer and easier on cars than rally cross.
No, I did not write that. I said "At least with autocross and PDX you can run your street car with relatively little risk. But how many people have a car they're willing to risk damage to for 10 minutes of racing?"

"Safer" has to do almost entirely on the way an event is run, not on the venue or format of the event, and virtually nothing to do with the reason people aren't willing to drive at rallycross events.

How many of those three guys you linked to had instructors in the car during their wrecks? I'll bet 0. How many were already expert/advanced drivers that probably didn't need any instruction. I'm also betting 0. For that matter, how much instruction is offered at the average rallycross event? 'Cause in Reno, every PDX novice is *required* to have an instructor, and an instructor is made available to *every* driver if they want one. PDX is *not* competition, it's instruction. There shouldn't be a single car on track *ever* at a PDX trying to go as fast as they can. Period. That alone makes it fundamentally safer than rallycross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post

You're wrong.

really end of story. i can dig up stats, or Insurance costs to put on events, but you won't change your opinion or what you post. so there's no point. but here's a few examples for others to benefit from : one , two, and three

that last one is my favorite because it really applies here. He was autocrossing for a few years, decided to try a Track day, made a mistake and had bad luck (but on a race track @ high speeds) and totaled his car.

There was a recent roll over at a rally cross this year. again he made a mistake and had bad luck No Injuries, and a broken head light, broken rally lights, bent up fenders, broken hood scoop. car drives perfectly fine, a much better situation than any of those 3 "track accidents".

Autocross is easier on cars then rally cross, But its more dangerous for the course workers. (speeds are higher)
but yes you are more likely to roll your car in a rally cross compared to autocross, I've never said otherwise.

bottom Line racing your car increases your chances of breaking it. I wouldn't take a car to the race track if i couldn't afford to be with out it.
I wouldn't take a car to a rally cross if i couldn't afford a spare tire
I would risk taking my car to an autocross if i couldn't afford anything, but its a risk.

and now back to Autocross chat , in the autocross thread.

------------------------

I got an other offer to sell me some used Hoosiers for way to cheap ($80 a set) but they are like 3 years old and rather worthless if you want to win ... But for the cost savings i'm thinking about it.

WTF does event insurance cost have to do with what we're talking about? Certainly, if someone crashes a car at the track they are at much greater risk of bodily harm than a slow-speed rollover or something at rallycross. That's what insurance is covering... the cost of someone getting hurt, not just the frequency of wrecks, and certainly not the cost of damage to cars, since no one covers that at any off-road event.

What I thought we were talking about is average cost of damage. Here's what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I bet there's more $$$ of damage per driver at a PDX then at a rally cross.
So, add up the cost of those three wrecks, and all of the other PDX incidents, then divide by the thousands of drivers running thousands of miles at tracks each year. Now add up the cost of repainting nearly every car that competes in just a single lap of rallycross on a surface that isn't the most baby-soft, light and fluffy dirt, and divide by the relatively few number of people that rallycross. I guarantee there is far, far more damage done to cars on average in the dirt than at the track. And that's precisely the damage that keeps people away from rallycross.

Once again, my point is that for the average joe with a sports car, rallycross is not appealing because they don't want to hurt their car. Remember, average joe isn't really worried about totaling his ride, as that's pretty unlikely at either event. He's worried about bottoming the car out, bending a wheel, scratching the paint, etc. Those things hardly ever occur at the track, but you're basically guaranteed to get some cosmetic damage at a rallycross.

I know you think I hate rallycross for some reason (despite the fact that MattR and I were the first people in Reno to attempt to start a rallycross program with the SCCA back in 2003), and that taints your ability to read what I'm actually posting instead of what you think I'm posting. But regardless of how you think I feel about rallycross, the reality is that the vast majority of driving enthusiasts are very vain when it comes to their cars, and that alone puts rallycross just off the map for them.

Last edited by sperry; 2011-03-17 at 03:48 PM.
sperry is offline   Reply With Quote