View Single Post
Old 2006-11-11, 02:21 PM   #1
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L
Default I need bench racing help

As a fun side project I'm going to make a video that will answer the question "Can someone with minimal racing experience drive faster than Jermey Clarkson?" It's not going to be totally accurate but my idea is so complex that some may believe me

The idea came from the Top Gear segment where Jeremy races a Honda NSX-R around Laguna Seca on GT4 then tries to match that same lap time in real life. His GT4 time was 1:41 and his on-course time was 1:57. I tried using the same car on the same track and on my first lap I managed a 1:39. I know this only proves that I'm better at GT4 than Jeremy is but it got me thinking, "Can I drive faster than him too?"

The first problem is quite apparent: I don't own a NSX-R nor do I have access to Laguna Seca.

My answer to that problem comes from a former Top Gear segment where the infamous Sabina (Nurburgring M5 Taxi driver) tasks Jeremy to lap the ring in under 10 minutes in a diesel Jaguar S-Type. He does it, but only by one second. By generalizing Jeremy's driving abilities I now have common ground for this challenge since I can go to the Nurburgring on the weekends.

The next problem is the car: I don't have a Jag S-type either...

This is where I need help with bench racing. I want to find a way to come up with a semi-accurate handicap so my little non-turbo Impreza can compete. After this is completed then comes the fun part, testing that handicap Tomorrow morning I'm going to The Ring again with a few Subaru guys so I can get a better idea as to where I stand. My first lap on The Ring was about 11 minutes, but it was a horrible lap.

I plan on further proving that I'm better at GT4 by racing a Jag Type-S around The Ring faster than Jeremy's split (which was 18 seconds on Laguna Seca) after I/we figure out an accurate way of setting it.

So, can anyone help me out? What ideas do you have about setting a proper handicap and time split?
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote