View Single Post
Old 2004-02-09, 03:44 PM   #3
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Actually I have 1-piece cast iron rotors on mine, always have. The two-piece alum. hub rotors just shave off some unsprung weight. They seem to cost 2 to 3 times as much as 1 piece rotors, so it's not really worth the price to me yet.

[img:8fb4b5884b=400]http://www.seccs.org/gallery/Car%20Pictures/Austin's%20Mustang/Right%20Front%20Coilover%202.jpg[/img:8fb4b5884b]

The rotors I initially got with the Baer Track kit were gas-slotted, and apparently made by a different manufacturer than the ones I have now; the curved-vane vent holes in the rotor were quite a bit wider (which you would think was good), which actually meant there was less mass in the rotor (which is bad, in terms of heat anyway). As I recall I didn't season the brand new rotors right - so after a year or so they were vibrating like a quarter-fed honeymoon hotel bed. I bought a new set direct from Baer, plain rotors this time, and what I got had narrower vent holes.. but since the overall thickness is the same it means significantly more iron material present, which has actually resulted in much better ability to deal with heat. They've lasted for a couple years now IIRC, and the only problem at all is that I just noticed a few weeks ago there are some tiny tiny cracks developing on the firepath surface (my guess is it's just wear due to heat cycling). I'll keep an eye on them, and if they're still small when when it comes time for a new set of pads I'll just have the rotors turned.. if not, it'll be time for new rotors again.