View Single Post
Old 2004-02-09, 04:06 PM   #13
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Scott, I just went through this debate myself. After much searching and debating, I'm sticking to the old school STi 4pot/2pot setup. The rear 2 pots are dictated by the R180 hubs, not my belief that the stock rears (or Legacy rears) would fade, because they won't. I could have had all 4 wheels with STi golds, but decided that the limited wheel choices made that not so good. Brakes themselves are excellent given better than stock pads and rotors.

Next choice was Stoptech. I can get them cheaper than retail, they are EXCELLENT brakes, and quite a few 17" wheels suitable for an Impreza fit them. However, I decided to stick to the 4 pots I have for now. With stainless lines, Ate Racing fluid, and suitable pads on the OE rotrs, I really doubt I will fade them, at least not during autocross. Maybe, just maybe, at the track, but I doubt that too. The really big advantage, though, is spending half as much as Stoptechs cost and being able to run lighter 16" wheels, which means I can even keep a set of cheapo stocks or rotas with gravel tires for rallycross and "side trips". If, and only if, I manage to fade these, then I may go to StopTechs later on. And if $$ were no object, I'd go with 4 piston APs with super jammy slotted 2 piece rotors.