The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Nice Austin.... that's the kinda info I need. I heard, the 2 piece rotors prevent "coning" of the rotor as they heat up meaning less knockback and better pad wear in addition to the lighter rotor.... have you noticed a bevel on your worn pads, or does AutoX not really heat things up enough to notice that?
I haven't heard that before; I haven't noticed any irregular wear of my pads with the "Track" kit, but I haven't been out on an actual track, either.

I would tend to think the caliper and caliper mounting bracket stiffness would have the most effect on keeping the pad oriented true to the rotor surface, since they're mounted up there on a lever arm. Off the top of my head, I would also think 2-piece rotors would flex more under a given load, since AFAIK they use an aluminum center hat of roughly equivalent thickness to the iron hat they replace, and iron is a stiffer material than aluminum.
Interesting comment on the alu vs. iron. As far as the mounting bracket flexing, I hear the biggest flex comes from the bearings/hub (at least on the WRX which is notorious) which means the *rotor* is what get's out of line, not the caliper. Check out this article on knockback to see what I mean: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/knockback.htm