Thread: LED TV's?
View Single Post
Old 2010-12-09, 02:36 PM   #30
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Apparently Plasmas are known to buzz ("bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz") especially when above 6,500 feet of elevation. Mine is dead silent though. It looks absolutely incredible when watching Blu-Ray via my PS3 or 1080p/720p rips via my laptop.

I hear that most people end up turning off the 120hz voodoo crap after they spent a bunch on a set just to get it. It causes a "soap opera" effect and looks "unnatural" because the TV is processing fake images and inserting them between the real ones. Every manufacturer has a different method of doing this so YMMV, but it's not going to take the blur away as if you had simply bought a plasma.

Plasmas are heavier, tend to have more glare, and shouldn't be used where images will be still for extreme amounts of time (pretty much just when using them as a monitor) but are superior in every other way, generally speaking.

Edit: They also use more electricity, but like just like the old Burn-in problem, the newer sets are way better...similar energy consumption to the CCFL backlit LCD's.

Last edited by cody; 2010-12-09 at 02:47 PM.
cody is offline   Reply With Quote