Old 2004-02-22, 07:00 PM   #137
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
I can't believe you said this:

”Standing a car on it’s nose every time you hit the brakes IS the best, fastest way to get around the track. Regardless of being at maximum braking with ABS or maximum braking on your own, you should always be braking at your maximum in the braking zones (except while trailbraking).”

Perhaps you consider every corner entry where you want to set the front end of the car, or need to scrub a small amount of speed trail braking.

Can you honestly tell me that every time you press the brake pedal, you are trying to reach maximum braking potential, ABS or not for however short of a time?
I'm not going to speak for Gary, (since he is more than capable of doing that for himself ) but assuming that the racetrack is made up of discreet straights and corners, and the racecar is of sufficient power to weight ratio (therefore having a higher speed at the end of every straight than the car is capable of cornering at), the car should absolutely be braked at maximum capacity leading up to every single corner. This is fairly obvious. Now, when you look at some real world racetrack examples that have many combination corners, and get out there in a production car that doesn't have typical racecar-like acceleration & speed, then it's a toss-up as to what will be required on different parts of the track. If you come out of a slow hairpin and then lead into a large-radius sweeper just a second or two later, the car might just not be going fast enough entering the sweeper to require more than a gentle tap on the brakes to get it to turn in sufficiently. I think this is what you were getting after, Dean?