Old 2004-02-22, 07:13 PM   #139
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Unless I am mistaken , the single 45mm stock piston has less surface area than 2x36mm and 2 x40mm Stoptech pistons. Unless my math is wrong, that is 222mm^2 vs. 2 x 177.6 + 2 x 197.4 = 750mm^2.
Stock WRX calipers are 2 pots both on one side of the caliper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
”Standing a car on it’s nose every time you hit the brakes IS the best, fastest way to get around the track. Regardless of being at maximum braking with ABS or maximum braking on your own, you should always be braking at your maximum in the braking zones (except while trailbraking).”

Perhaps you consider every corner entry where you want to set the front end of the car, or need to scrub a small amount of speed trail braking.

Can you honestly tell me that every time you press the brake pedal, you are trying to reach maximum braking potential, ABS or not for however short of a time?
I think Gary's point was "If you need to slow down, do it as fast as possible." Which makes sense to me... the more time you spend at top speed the faster your laps will be. Don't waste time slowing down at less than the maximum braking ability of the car.

I don't think he was talking about using the brakes to transfer weight to help the car turn, and he explicity said he wasn't talking about trail braking. Just when you need to slow down, which should be in a straight line braking area for the most part.

Edit: I dunno why this ended up so far down the thread.. it was posted right after Dean's calculations!