View Single Post
Old 2004-02-22, 09:01 PM   #140
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySheehan
The WRX has two 42.5mm pistons in the caliper. The Stoptech caliper uses one 36mm piston and one 40mm piston. You do not factor in all four pistons in the area, only two. This is because the two piston floating stock caliper applies the same force to both sides of the rotor (i.e.-a 2 piston floating caliper equals a 4 piston solid mount caliper with equal piston sizes).
Sorry, my math was in error. I typed 45, not 42.5 into my calculator. 42.5 results in 209.7 x 2 = 419.4 and the Stoptechs comes down to 375. This is 89% the surface area. I don't have the piston circles, but the Stoptechs appear to be 328mm rotors, and stock are approximately 290mm. This is 13% more rotor diameter. So we have 89% the piston area and 113% the diameter. I am still having a hard time understanding how this can shift 10% bias to the rear. Any thoughts?
Quote:
All of your references to the differential in temperature across the pad is because the trailing edge of the pad is impeded by the debris and outgassing. More force is required at the trailing edge to force it through the debris.
I'm sorry, I disagree, and Stoptechs own documentation and physics appear to disagree as well. As I understand it, debris and outgassing are mostly a thing of the past with modern pad formulation and manufacturing processes... You clearly have access to people and resources I don't. Given these documents, would it be possible for you to discuss this with the enginerers at Stoptech?
Quote:
In discussing the fast way around the track, you are correct, there are instances where you do not brake at the maximum because of balance of the car, etc. But our entire discussion to this point has been discussing maximum braking ability of a system.
I believe this discussion started as a discussion about brake options to increase feel and minimize fade. And It's good to see that you agree that balance etc. is an issue when not in a maximum braking zone as was my original statement.
Quote:
You didn't mention anything about the majority of the discussion revolving around how the tire traction breaks away quite a long time before wheel lock-up. That was actually the most important topic in this thread. Did you understand what I was trying to convey?
I said "I appreciate your further description of brake operation, especially the tire dynamics", and I do. Since you don't wish to discuss the intersection of torque curves, transients, etc. I'm not sure there is anything left to discuss on that front.