View Single Post
Old 2004-02-24, 08:46 AM   #146
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySheehan
I will go back and read the whitepapers you posted regarding offset piston sizes as well as follow up with the Stoptech folks. It's possible they didn't feel the need to go into all of the engineering details with a "dumb race car driver." (that's a self description, by the way)
Thanks. I really do appreciate all your real world experience with this as well as the technical insight and I would like to understand the theory as well. Please let us know what you find out.
Quote:
Just to be clear, I meant chassis balance, not brake balance. Brake balance is insignificant when not braking at the maximum.
Agreed…
Quote:
It may mean that you still believe your pin/hole theory is applicable. Or not. It's not clear to me.
I’m not certain my example is entirely without merit, but do agree it is not how brakes work under normal conditions. I do think your description of the tire friction and release was very helpful to my understanding. It would be interesting to understand what the torque curves for both these friction zones is just to see what the look like on top of each other.
Quote:
For the stock pistons, that's 3.1415 * 21.25mm^2 = 1,418mm^2. Since there's two pistons, the total piston area is 2,837mm^2. The Stoptech is 3.1415 * (18mm^2 + 20mm^2) = 2,274.5mm^2.

Given the same cf brake pads and the same brake line pressure, that gives the stock system a brake torque constant of 290mm / 2 * 2,837mm^2 = 411,365mm^3. The Stoptech system has a brake torque constant of 328mm / 2 * 2,274.5mm^2 = 373,018mm^3. The difference is (411,365mm^3 - 373,018mm^3) / 373,018mm^3 = 10.28%. The Stoptech system is 10.28% less than the stock system. Unless I screwed up my math somewhere.
Thanks, your math looks 100% correct, I appreciate you going through the exercise. My math was entirely in error because the idiot behind the keyboard entered the wrong formula into the very first Excel cell and then replicated it for the remaining cells… pi^2r. Oops.

I apologize for becoming defensive. My bad math combined with my bad interpretation of some of your comments led me astray. I personally have a much better understanding now of how all this works together now. I am even more convinced that I want a better ABS system, but oh well, just keep learning to drive better I guess. Do you know if the STI system is any better?

P.S. I hope we can get your insights into swaybars and other suspension goodies next. But that is for another thread.