sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySheehan
Dean,

I have no experience with the STi ABS system. Or the WRX ABS system for that matter. We removed the ABS system completely at the start of the season.

I have heard lots of people complain about Subaru ABS, though.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.teamSMR.com
It's especially bad on snow-covered ice or loose surfaces where locking the tires would actually help. I tried stopping once from 5mph with 15 feet of room before the stop sign and ended up sliding out into the street, and I had my snow tires on! :shock: You'd think the ABS wouldn't ever just disable the brakes, especially at such a low speed.

I miss my Thunderbird's ABS... it cycled much quicker than the Subaru system, and seemed be much less finickey about triggering when you don't need it. Part of that may be due to the T'Bird's 4000+ lb weight... but overall it just felt and worked much better.

If you'd like to ditch the ABS Dean, you can simply pull the ABS fuse from the inside fuse box. In fact, lots of people have installed a switch in there to allow easy on/off of the ABS. 'Course, I'm not sure about all the side-effects... like switching it on/off while driving, or what your insurance company will say if you get into a wreck w/ the ABS disabled.