Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2003-11-04, 01:21 PM   #1
ArthurS
EJ207

Car: 2011 Chevy Battle Wagon
Default Subaru Towing = A+....but....

Well, I got the car towed today. The subaru roadside assistance were extremly helpful and caring over the phone. I was very very impressed.

As for the towing company that came...I believe it was ACE's, didn't do as well. Have a difficult time getting the car onto the flat bad. Overall sounded and looked painful to the car.

Anyway, car is at the shop. We will see the estimate today.
Old 2003-11-04, 01:36 PM   #2
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

You might want to see if you can at least do some of the suspension replacement yourself (or with others from the group maybe?) to save some $$$... everything in a front suspension pretty much just bolts on.
Old 2003-11-04, 01:40 PM   #3
ArthurS
EJ207

Well, from what I can tell -

The a-arm, front sway, endlinks, strut, cv, and a few other things would need replacing. Also, who knows how bad the diff's got screwed up with the tow or even the rear axle! He really beat the shit out of the car trying to get it on the flat bed truck.
Old 2003-11-04, 01:58 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Well, from what I can tell -

The a-arm, front sway, endlinks, strut, cv, and a few other things would need replacing. Also, who knows how bad the diff's got screwed up with the tow or even the rear axle! He really beat the shit out of the car trying to get it on the flat bed truck.
If it's getting fixed under your insurance, it's going to be over the deductible no matter how much work you're willing to do yourself... might as well let them repair it all so if something's wrong you can bring it back to 'em for free fixes.

Dragging an AWD car up onto a flatbed won't screw up the diffs... the diffs are designed to operate each axle at different speeds... it's when you force it to handle a big difference for a long, sustained period of time... like towing with the front wheels off the ground or something. Hell, driving home on the bent rim prolly heated up the diff 100 times as much as winching it onto a flatbed... no biggie.
Old 2003-11-04, 02:04 PM   #5
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
If it's getting fixed under your insurance, it's going to be over the deductible no matter how much work you're willing to do yourself... might as well let them repair it all so if something's wrong you can bring it back to 'em for free fixes.
From what he said in the other forum it sounded like he wasn't filing a claim, that's the only reason I suggested it.
Old 2003-11-04, 02:17 PM   #6
ArthurS
EJ207

Still unsure if I am filing a claim yet or not. Haven't received the estimates.

Well, this was the problem. He needed the car to be lined up with the flatbed, so we had to basically roll the car back. So put it in N, and rolled it back, but it got stuck on a small dip. So he got inand tried to give it some gas in reverse to get it over the bump. Problem was the tired and rim were so bent in, it couldn't go in reverse. Then noticed a lot of smoke coming out the back and some small drops of oil here and there. Smoke wasn't coming from the exhaust though. Just figured it might have been the rear diff smoking. Do not know though.
Old 2003-11-04, 02:46 PM   #7
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurS
Still unsure if I am filing a claim yet or not. Haven't received the estimates.

Well, this was the problem. He needed the car to be lined up with the flatbed, so we had to basically roll the car back. So put it in N, and rolled it back, but it got stuck on a small dip. So he got inand tried to give it some gas in reverse to get it over the bump. Problem was the tired and rim were so bent in, it couldn't go in reverse. Then noticed a lot of smoke coming out the back and some small drops of oil here and there. Smoke wasn't coming from the exhaust though. Just figured it might have been the rear diff smoking. Do not know though.
The rear diff would only heat up if one rear tire were spinning and the other wasn't. With the damaged front rim, you'd only be at risk for hurting the center and/or front diffs.

I'd suggest letting your insurance pay for this. The fender damage alone is probably $1000. Now add in the cost of a rim, tire, axel, control arm/lateral links, strut, spring, and possibly the brake rotor/caliper, wheel hub, maybe the front and center diffs (but I doubt it), and any transmission damage (not being able to shift to reverse worries me), plus the cost of several days of labor, and you're probably looking at $4000 to $6000 in damages... assuming the dealer's gonna be the place fixing it. If the engine/tranny mounts are bent, then you're in for a world of trouble.

Just make sure the "frame" is still straight, and the transmission shifts smoothly once the work is done, or it might be better to get it fixed, then get rid of ASAP before the value degrades anymore with age. Drive a beater till that B4 comes out.
Old 2003-11-04, 02:54 PM   #8
ArthurS
EJ207

I have actually already been looking at some beaters. After I get the estimate, and figure the amount of damage, I may very well get ride of it. Winter will be a little harder, but my office is only 4 minutes from home.

We will see how much damage there is under the body. Insurance is going to be a huge kick in the balls with this one. Lol.