Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2009-01-01, 06:10 PM   #1
Jesubi11
EJ22

Car: 04 wrx wagon

Get busy livin' or get busy dyn'
Default Timing belt questions

What do you guys think about using "cheap" timing belt and tensioners such as these. From what I understand all aftermarket components are suppose to meet oe spec. Also before you guys dig in I understand the repercussions of a timing belt component failure. I just want to know if you guys have heard of a failure on a cheap belt/tensioner in the past.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ming_belt.html

thanks
Jeremy
Old 2009-01-01, 07:54 PM   #2
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

They might work just fine. then again, how much do you have to save before you're willing to risk it? I'd recommend springing for the OE stuff. In fact, I did recently.
Old 2009-01-01, 09:51 PM   #3
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Febi(Bilstein) and/or NTN are probably the OEMs for the factory part and both make good stuff. I would not hesitate to buy their parts and I believe that is Continental's current "performance" belt line, so it should be fine as well.

Not sure Parts Geek has the best prices though but don't have the energy to search right now.
Old 2009-01-01, 11:38 PM   #4
Jesubi11
EJ22

Thanks for the input guys. I will search for a better deal but I just wanted to get all your input first.
Old 2009-01-02, 11:55 AM   #5
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

I was considering Gates. They make a standard and a "Racing" application timing belt for our cars (as well as all of the other parts people replace when they do the timing belt).

A lot of people do the water pump, idler pulleys, and belt tensioner at the same time. I think some even do the Crank Seal too since it's only $7 or something. The service manual simply has you check these components for issues but I can see the benefit of simply replacing them too...

What do you guys recommend? I'm at 95K miles so I'm gonna have to do something soon.
Old 2009-01-02, 12:42 PM   #6
Kevin M
EJ22T

Do everything you can get to while replacing the timing belt. Well worth the effort. It's minimal additional cost and effort.
Old 2009-01-02, 03:24 PM   #7
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Depending on cost, I would do anything under that cover that did not require the pulling of a pulley or pan unless it is already weeping/leaking. I think that would be water pump, oil pump(?) and idler. Not sure what else.

Or just replace the entire engine like I did.
Old 2009-01-02, 07:35 PM   #8
Jesubi11
EJ22

Gates produces the Subaru oe belt so this would be ideal...

btw that was the best price I could find for anyone else considering this product.

I don't think I'm going to replace either pumps unless I see/feel wear. To me these are not detrimental if they fail, therefore I will go back and fix it if they do fail. I have never been a fan of "throwing" parts at it. Now if I was having someone else doing the work I would have them do everything while they are in there. Just my .02.

Last edited by Jesubi11; 2009-01-02 at 07:39 PM.
Jesubi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 08:31 PM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesubi11 View Post
Gates produces the Subaru oe belt so this would be ideal...

btw that was the best price I could find for anyone else considering this product.

I don't think I'm going to replace either pumps unless I see/feel wear. To me these are not detrimental if they fail, therefore I will go back and fix it if they do fail. I have never been a fan of "throwing" parts at it. Now if I was having someone else doing the work I would have them do everything while they are in there. Just my .02.
Changing your water pump and cam/crank seals is a lot closer to changing your oil (preventive maintenance) than it is to parts-bin troubleshooting.

Those of us saying to replace everything you can get to are just trying to save some effort later, though it may easily be years before the effort you didn't make matters.
Old 2009-01-02, 08:42 PM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

I've got a leaky cam seal on the SVX I'm about to replace. While I'm in there I'm also going to do the timing belt and water pump. Even though the car has 220k miles on it, neither are really critical (non interference motor) but I'll be damned if I'm going to take the front of the motor apart twice in two years if I can avoid it, so I'm going to do the maintenence work I can do easily while I'm under the belt covers. FWIW.
Old 2009-01-03, 12:56 AM   #11
Jesubi11
EJ22

What is involved with doing the cam seals. I know you guys are right but I really don't have the money right now to "throw" parts at my car right now.
Old 2009-01-03, 08:52 PM   #12
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesubi11 View Post
What is involved with doing the cam seals. I know you guys are right but I really don't have the money right now to "throw" parts at my car right now.
Well, once the timing belt comes off, you have to take off the cam sprockets (all 4 on the WRX, as opposed to just the two on the SVX), then pull out the seals that are behind them and replace with new ones. You're supposed to have a special tool for pressing in the new ones, but I've always gotten by with just the butt-end of a big screwdriver and taking my time.

However, unless the seals are already leaking, I wouldn't bother changing them. My SVX rolled over 220,000 miles and the passenger side cam seal has been leaking for at least the last 10k miles. Now that it's getting bad enough to leave a puddle on the floor of the garage, I'm finally replacing it. It's not a super-critical seal or anything... even if it's leaking a little, it's not the end of the world until it's making a mess or draining enough oil to have to constantly top off the motor.
Old 2009-01-03, 10:50 PM   #13
Jesubi11
EJ22

Thanks for the info. I think I will skip it this time around.