Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2004-01-06, 12:53 AM   #1
drfunk
EJ22

Car: 2003 subi 25rs turbo
Default wastegate gasket is toast

i just noticed that the wastegate gasket at the up-pipe blew. im assuming it wasnt on good enough when i first installed it cause it sounded like there was an exhaust leak down there, but i just couldnt find it. well, now i did and of course its in the worst possible position i could ever imagine. i dont really wanna have to take the compressor off to change it(which i dont even have a gasket)so im gonna take it to mcvays and get an estamate on it. then ill deside wheather or not i wanna do it. they might have some tricks i never even thought of.
Old 2004-01-06, 09:00 AM   #2
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through
Default Re: wastegate gasket is toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfunk
i just noticed that the wastegate gasket at the up-pipe blew. im assuming it wasnt on good enough when i first installed it cause it sounded like there was an exhaust leak down there, but i just couldnt find it. well, now i did and of course its in the worst possible position i could ever imagine. i dont really wanna have to take the compressor off to change it(which i dont even have a gasket)so im gonna take it to mcvays and get an estamate on it. then ill deside wheather or not i wanna do it. they might have some tricks i never even thought of.
One trick is to use a few dabs of that "make a gasket" stuff to position the gasket in the right place so it doesn't slide around when you bolt things up.

I went through like 5 different gaskets on my header/up-pipe junction, I know how much it can suck. My problem was a mis-aligned up-pipe flange, which Vishnu was nice enough to fix by sending me a new flex up-pipe.
Old 2004-01-06, 04:35 PM   #3
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Permatex RTV works wonders...
Old 2004-01-06, 04:38 PM   #4
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLabMonkey
Permatex RTV works wonders...
Yeah but does it handle 2000 deg F temps? So far I haven't found a liquid gasket that could handle the temps of a turbo.

I was just asying to use the gasket stuff like a glue to temporarily hold the metal gasket in the proper position during assembly... it will burn off in like a week.
Old 2004-01-07, 11:57 AM   #5
drfunk
EJ22

i talked to mcvay's they said you cant make a gasket for that, and if you did it pobably wouldnt last more than a few months. i told forced ait tech what happened and asked to send me a new one. so now ill just have to wait.
Old 2004-01-20, 07:21 PM   #6
drfunk
EJ22

well i put the new gasket in this morning.. it took me two hours and i was drenched thanks to the snow that didnt show up for a month until i had a chance to do this. i got half of the old one out and the other half was siezed to the metal. i had to just about crawl into my engine bay and pic at it with a putty knife. after all the "brail" of the bolts i was working on i got that bitch installed.