Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat Talk about life in general...

Old 2008-05-02, 09:49 AM   #1
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP
Default Recommend me a mortgage broker

I'm not yet quite ready to buy, but I'd like to start working with an experienced career broker who can get us pointed in the right direction. That way we won't waste any more time than we have to getting to the point where we can make offers. Someone with experience doing VA/FHA/similar stuff would be nice.
Old 2008-05-02, 10:03 AM   #2
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

When I looked many moons ago I came to the quick realization that brokers are just another middleman taking their cut, but I did learn a bit from talking to a few. CTX was the most helpful.

I ended up going straight to lenders though in the end.

When I was looking to refi, Lending Tree was a good choice. Don't know how they do on origination.
Old 2008-05-02, 10:21 AM   #3
SteveM
EJ22

Car: RED WRX
Class: Spectator

Mangia la mia polvere

Doug Daberko at Greater Nevada 334-3160

My GF and I used him on our current house and she used him on her previous house. Great guy -- he will spend time with you to answer any questions you have, and explain everything in great detail. He is very thorough and knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
I'm not yet quite ready to buy, but I'd like to start working with an experienced career broker who can get us pointed in the right direction. That way we won't waste any more time than we have to getting to the point where we can make offers. Someone with experience doing VA/FHA/similar stuff would be nice.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 10:34 AM   #4
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
When I looked many moons ago I came to the quick realization that brokers are just another middleman taking their cut, but I did learn a bit from talking to a few. CTX was the most helpful.

I ended up going straight to lenders though in the end.

When I was looking to refi, Lending Tree was a good choice. Don't know how they do on origination.
If we weren't first-time buyers with zero experience here and little chance of getting a direct conventional loan at this time, I would go straight to lenders too. But we need help, and paying for broker services (and advice, and hand-holding, and connections) is probably a good idea for us.
Old 2008-05-02, 10:35 AM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Doug Daberko at Greater Nevada 334-3160

My GF and I used him on our current house and she used him on her previous house. Great guy -- he will spend time with you to answer any questions you have, and explain everything in great detail. He is very thorough and knowledgeable.
As in Greater Nevada Credit Union? Been meaing to open an account there for a coupel months and just never get around to it. I'll definitely keep him in mind. Which branch does he work at?
Old 2008-05-02, 11:01 AM   #6
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
If we weren't first-time buyers with zero experience here and little chance of getting a direct conventional loan at this time, I would go straight to lenders too. But we need help, and paying for broker services (and advice, and hand-holding, and connections) is probably a good idea for us.
What I am saying is, don't be afraid to go straight to lenders. They are just as helpful and with the change in lending practices, qualifications are going to be similar across the board!

Nobody will tell you the whole story. It is worth the tens of thousands of dollars over the life of the loan to do your homework and go visit a bunch of lenders as well as shopping on-line. Just don't let anyone run a credit check on you until you are ready. You can check your own, but every one lenders do basically lowers your credit score, sort of, kinda...
Old 2008-05-02, 11:59 AM   #7
SteveM
EJ22

Car: RED WRX
Class: Spectator

Mangia la mia polvere

Yeah, Greater Nevada Credit Union. Though I think they have kind of split it off to Greater Nevada Mortgage Services... That number will get to to him. He met us at any branch we wanted. I think we went to the one on S. Virginia by Home Depot.

Quote:
As in Greater Nevada Credit Union? Been meaing to open an account there for a coupel months and just never get around to it. I'll definitely keep him in mind. Which branch does he work at?
Edit: Whoo Hoo Post 100 EJ22!

Last edited by SteveM; 2008-05-02 at 12:00 PM. Reason: EJ22 Status
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 05:18 PM   #8
dknv
EJ207

Car: RX-8
Class: CS maybe

You might ask Jim Uchytil if his wife is a broker. I overheard her one day on her cellphone, setting up some kind of deal that sounded like it involved the down payment for something that spanned a year (or else, wasn't due for a year), and at the time I wondered how that kind of deal could work.
dknv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 05:22 PM   #9
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Debbie just made me think that you should ask John Townley. He an Rochel are realtors and probably have a few references.
Old 2008-05-02, 10:33 PM   #10
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Kevin I don't if you are married or not but since you said "us" I will assume you are. One thing to make sure to do when signing the papers after buying your home, is to make sure the title company titles the property to you as community property, and not as joint tenants. Nevada is a community property state but, for some reason unless you specify, title companies will default to joint tendency. This will give you better tax advantages in the future. Plus, Joint Tendency will cost you more money in deed preperation if you ever decide to create a living trust.
Old 2008-05-03, 11:16 AM   #11
Kevin M
EJ22T

I'm not married.
Old 2008-05-05, 12:29 PM   #12
zpeed
EJ251

Car: 06 S2000
Class: RNP & PDX

I use my wife's friend she help us buy this house and refi the rental good rate too. Give her a call Mathenee 901-1311.
zpeed is offline   Reply With Quote