Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2009-11-23, 01:37 PM   #1
moose
EJ22

Car: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
Class: getting beat in DSP

Pain doesn't affect me, I affect pain.
Default Toy Drive

Some of the admins and I on Flat 4 have come up with an idea to have a toy drive for Christmas. Our plan is to meet up with some local radio stations who have toy drives such as KOZZ. They are the ones who fill up a full RTC bus. I would like to hook up with them and fill the bus and also get our names out there. The better the name for the Subaru Community, the better it is for us. We could also use this opportunity to finally join the two forums together. Now all I need to know is if you all are willing to do this. It will require dedication and time. My plan is to set up bins around town, such as in and out, Tamarack, and possibly Super Markets and other places. Then when it comes time, we can all drive together with all the toys to the KOZZ bus thing and fill it. Or wherever we decide to take it.
Old 2009-11-23, 01:55 PM   #2
SpamMan
EJ22

Car: 05 STi|04 WRX|05 Legacy GT Limited

Salty Meat For Your Mouth

Myself and moose been trying to get this off the ground.. I would love to see the two forums combine for a good cause..
SpamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 02:31 PM   #3
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

When I saw the title I was thinking about Moose's new car.

That is a very good and thoughtful idea.
Old 2009-11-23, 05:28 PM   #4
Ms Heatha
EJ22

Car: '00 RS
Class: TSM

If yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Are there any threads about the clubs joining on the SECCS site?
Ms Heatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 07:14 PM   #5
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

You mean besides this one?
Old 2009-11-23, 08:50 PM   #6
Ms Heatha
EJ22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
You mean besides this one?
Holy shit, Im a space cadet. As I'm sure most of you know. I thought I was on Flat4 for a sec. 86 that whole thing.
Old 2009-11-24, 11:15 AM   #7
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

The toy drive is a great idea, especially combining your efforts instead of taking away from another Toy Drive. I say contact KOZZ and ask how the club as a whole can help out. They're established and things like this aren't easy to just start up.

I hope the Subaru club(s) can keep things like this up in the future.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 09:44 AM   #8
SpamMan
EJ22

Car: 05 STi|04 WRX|05 Legacy GT Limited

Salty Meat For Your Mouth

so i have my event coordinator looking into it also.. if anyone else has anything i would love to make this happen...
SpamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 05:14 PM   #9
03wrxwagon
EJ22

hello all im the new event's guy for flat4, I talked to nolimitimports also and they are also very down to get in on this event so that being all 3 big car clubs in and around reno I will need some help trying to make this all happen...I was think we could contact Big Brothers,Big Sisters club and that could be where all the toys go to....Thanks for reading and any help will do
03wrxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-25, 06:43 PM   #10
Kevin M
EJ22T

To be honest, I don't think you're going to find anybody here that wants to be associated with an organization that promotes street racing, even when it is for a good cause.
Old 2009-11-25, 09:40 PM   #11
03wrxwagon
EJ22

that is true but most of those guys on there like to take it to the track rather then the streets. If you can see past all of that for just that time and moment that would awsome,this has nothing to do with us,this is for the KIDS....
Old 2009-11-26, 09:26 AM   #12
100_Percent_Juice
(40 percent vodka)

Car: 2004WRX
Class: Baby-Hauler/GroceryGetter

Old 2009-11-27, 10:21 AM   #13
Ms Heatha
EJ22

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think you're going to find anybody here that wants to be associated with an organization that promotes street racing, even when it is for a good cause.
There's no doubt that people from this site will be in the toy drive. Im going. However, joining the clubs in NOT a good. idea. I like (almost) every single one from Flat4, but let's face it. They're more of a social thing than SECCS. They want to go to Best Buy every Friday night, and we go to the track when the time comes. The only person I've seen from Flat4 show up to the track was Moose. But like I said, I have no issues with them joining together. Maybe it would be a better stepping stone for one of the clubs to step up and change their meeting night to another so that kids like me can be social, but not get some f'd up response when I ask something technical.

Just my opinion.
Old 2009-11-27, 10:39 AM   #14
03wrxwagon
EJ22

x2
Old 2009-11-27, 11:58 AM   #15
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Heatha View Post
There's no doubt that people from this site will be in the toy drive. Im going. However, joining the clubs in NOT a good. idea. I like (almost) every single one from Flat4, but let's face it. They're more of a social thing than SECCS. They want to go to Best Buy every Friday night, and we go to the track when the time comes. The only person I've seen from Flat4 show up to the track was Moose. But like I said, I have no issues with them joining together. Maybe it would be a better stepping stone for one of the clubs to step up and change their meeting night to another so that kids like me can be social, but not get some f'd up response when I ask something technical.

Just my opinion.
When I say "promotes street racing" I'm talking about no limit imports. I don't have any problems with the Flat 4 crew and I wish you guys success with this, whether you get help from SECCS or not. I just don't want the name of SECCS associated with no limit in any way, shape or form with those guys and neither does anybody else who's been a part of this site for any length of time.
Old 2009-11-27, 02:57 PM   #16
03wrxwagon
EJ22

so i take it you speak for everyone on this site? I say let them speak for themselfs
Old 2009-11-27, 03:43 PM   #17
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrxwagon View Post
so i take it you speak for everyone on this site? I say let them speak for themselfs
This site has had a long standing policy against street racing and the discussion of such actions in a positive manner. We promote motorsports in sanctioned and controlled environments.

That does not prevent either group from giving to toys for tots, but it is highly unlikely there will be any combined effort between the two groups.
Old 2009-11-27, 05:20 PM   #18
Kevin M
EJ22T

http://www.seccs.org/news/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry on April 30, 2004 on the site's front page
After an unfortunate situation with the police this past Thursday, I'd just like to reiterate our club's purpose to non-members that may be visiting this site.

We are not a "street racing crew". We are a not-for-profit organization made up of Subaru Enthusiasts. In fact we specifically endorse keeping the racing off the streets and on the race track, even to the point where we help organize legal race events and track days.

Many SECCS members are also members of the SCCA, the largest auto club in the US. We use SECCS as a means to attach a social aspect to our SCCA membership, creating weekly "fun" meets, and providing a friendly support program for new racers looking to get into the sport of Autocross. The club's average age is around 28 years old. And while we'll accept young members, we don't tolerate hot-headed punks that like that do stupid stuff with their cars. Our goal is to be an intellectual meeting place for open-minded individuals that are interested in learning more about Subarus and legal racing, as well as a place for enthusiasts to meet like-minded people.

Please do not confuse us with a "street racing crew". If you're at this site looking for that sort of thing, look elsewhere.
As Dean pointed out, I am speaking for the club in this instance, because people who promote or even passively accept street racing are not welcome here.
Old 2009-11-27, 05:59 PM   #19
khail19
EJ205

Car: 2016 VW GTI

Meets? We have meets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
This site has had a long standing policy against street racing and the discussion of such actions in a positive manner. We promote motorsports in sanctioned and controlled environments.
Quote:
As Dean pointed out, I am speaking for the club in this instance, because people who promote or even passively accept street racing are not welcome here.
x1,000,000
khail19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 06:32 PM   #20
Nick Koan
JDM Cowboy

Car: 2015 Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrxwagon View Post
this is for the KIDS....
Screw the kids, I only Street Race for Jesus.
Old 2009-11-27, 07:03 PM   #21
sybir
The Don

Car: '97 Legacy / '05 FXT
Class: low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Koan View Post
Screw the kids, I only Street Race for Jesus.
Old 2009-11-28, 04:50 AM   #22
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

^the font, it makes all the difference.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 10:31 AM   #23
03wrxwagon
EJ22

ok then what if we do this with just the subaru clubs then !
Old 2009-11-28, 10:55 AM   #24
Libila
EJ205

Car: '94 L

Why put emphasis on the "club" when it's just a bunch of people volunteering to help a toy drive? It seems like people are more concerned with who they associate with and not the cause at hand.
Libila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 02:02 PM   #25
Kevin M
EJ22T

The issue is that we don't need to let ourselves be associated with no limit imports to contribute to this or any other cause.