Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2009-11-16, 09:58 PM   #1
WRX06TR
EJ251

Car: 2005 STi
Class: MadtyteTunerBro!

Back to the studio!
Default High mileage STi's?

Well I have made the decision to sell my WRX and get a 2005 or 2006 STi. Yes insurance has been checked and is actually affordable for me. So looking at used cars I have seen most STi's in my price range with around 50k on the odometer.

I'm just wondering if this is too much. My WRX is at 51k. The STi would be my daily driver. I would not take the STi any farther than Stage 2. My job is driving around during the day but not very far just around town and I am not very lead footed.

I am just hoping with proper care and maintenance that an STi will be reliable even up to the higher miles. The same would go with my WRX, religious oil changes and following the Subaru service manual. Does this at all sound feasible?
WRX06TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 10:14 PM   #2
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

My '04 had 85K and was bone stock and well maintained when I got it, and was fine. I bumped it to Stage 2 and started to flog it at the track pretty hard and it was blowing oil by pretty hard by 100K but that was likely due to a failed ring land. So, I would say a STI should be good for at least 100K.

Oh, and if you have any wheels or mods, they might fit an '04...

MattR's '04 may also be up there...

Last edited by Dean; 2009-11-16 at 10:17 PM.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-16, 10:18 PM   #3
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Yeah, I thought about picking up an 04, but I like the stronger hubs, better struts, and slightly more refined 05-06 offerings. Thanks for the reminder though. Thats good to hear about your STi. That was another concern of mine, what causes a failed ringland in the STi motors?
Old 2009-11-16, 10:47 PM   #4
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Detonation, but don't know yet for sure on cause in my case. Current theory is an under performing injector.
Old 2009-11-16, 11:48 PM   #5
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

With proper care and maintenance, turbo Subaru's can go a really long ways. Most, however, don't get that sort of care. There are many, many turbo Legacy's out there with over 200k. They weren't making 300hp, but they didn't have a lot of modern technology either.
Old 2009-11-17, 06:52 AM   #6
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post

MattR's '04 may also be up there...
Yeah, it's really getting up there, I just clicked 40k!
Old 2009-11-17, 07:29 AM   #7
Kevin M
EJ22T

Car: '93/'01 GF6, mostly red
Class: 19 FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
Yeah, it's really getting up there, I just clicked 40k!

Nik, I'd keep the WRX if I was in your shoes. It's just too easy to convert to STi-sized turbo and intercooler and have all the same power, but without the older car that you don't know the history on.
Old 2009-11-17, 08:04 AM   #8
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Good point Kevin. I forget when they went to the 2.5 WRX. The STI is nice, but if all you want is a bit more power, turbo/intercooler/tune is an easy upgrade.
Old 2009-11-17, 09:46 AM   #9
Kevin M
EJ22T

Especially since he already has those things now.
Old 2009-11-17, 10:04 AM   #10
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M View Post
Especially since he already has those things now.
Yeah... I'm a little confused. An STi isn't going to be much faster than what you've got right now Nick, other than having some beefier hubs and the 6MT. Unless you're planning on tracking the car a lot, you're not going to gain much, and you're risking getting a beat-on STi when you know you're car front to back already. Plus, your current suspension already whoops on the stock STi stuff, especially since a stock STi with 50k will probably have blown rear struts the day you get it.

I'm not saying "don't get an STi"... I'm just trying to make sure you're not blinded by the STi badges to the point you're not remembering how nice your WRX is.
Old 2009-11-17, 10:58 AM   #11
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Thanks for the reminder, but for me it's just been worrying about drivetrain stuff. I literally haven't used 3rd since I swapped in the 39 and for me that just seems ridiculous. I know that there are gear set options out there that would let me handle the power for around 3k, but I'm a little hesitant to drop that kind of money for a solution that will probably hold the power and my driving habits. So that leaves a serious set like PPG's for 6k, well if I am going to drop 6k into my trans why not spend that 6-8k on an STi and get stronger axles, beefier hubs, the bigger brembos, R180, stronger pistons, ect.

I guess long term for the car I would plan on making it a weekend or track car, so the STi seemed a better starting point. I would love to have 450awhp with a 30r or similar. I can't afford to do that now so I will just stick with stage 2 and have a reliable quick car. I think its a combination of transmission woes and the fact that I'm not really happy with how the APV2 ots map for the 39 is. I have ridden in a stage 2 STi and it felt fast, my car doesn't feel like it has that same speed. And to get a tune I would like to run it on a dyno, which again calls into trouble the trans.

It's been a long time considering process, I think I started a thread a year ago or so thinking about getting an STi. I would also feel a littler safer with an STi with tbe and a tune rather than all the stuff I have put on my car. Oh and I probably should have listened a few times now lol, coils on the street everyday with how much I drive around town...suck. They ride pretty harsh, even though they are valved for street driving, and make quite a bit of noise.
Old 2009-11-17, 11:16 AM   #12
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

Yes, I am posting again lol, I am bored out of my mind in my IS class.

But regarding finding an STi and be careful of what I purchase what is there to worry about? The car is quite bulletproof isn't it? Anything that I would need to be aware of would show up in a leakdown and compression test right? Transmission shouldn't be a worry, rear diff is pretty solid. Struts...possibly but replacements can be had for cheap.

Am I forgetting anything? IDK, I am just trying to reason through it, does it really seem like that bad of an idea?
Old 2009-11-17, 01:02 PM   #13
Jeikun
EJ22

Car: 2006 WRX Limited
Class: little to none

Entirely off topic but, what's your major?
Old 2009-11-17, 01:17 PM   #14
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

lol, I just changed it. I'm looking to get into the Radiology Technician program at TMCC. This is my last semester at UNR and I just had to clear up two prereq's.
Old 2009-11-17, 01:50 PM   #15
Kevin M
EJ22T

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX06TR View Post
Thanks for the reminder, but for me it's just been worrying about drivetrain stuff. I literally haven't used 3rd since I swapped in the 39 and for me that just seems ridiculous. I know that there are gear set options out there that would let me handle the power for around 3k, but I'm a little hesitant to drop that kind of money for a solution that will probably hold the power and my driving habits. So that leaves a serious set like PPG's for 6k, well if I am going to drop 6k into my trans why not spend that 6-8k on an STi and get stronger axles, beefier hubs, the bigger brembos, R180, stronger pistons, ect.
You don't need to worry about your gearbox. It's fine.

Quote:
I guess long term for the car I would plan on making it a weekend or track car, so the STi seemed a better starting point. I would love to have 450awhp with a 30r or similar. I can't afford to do that now so I will just stick with stage 2 and have a reliable quick car. I think its a combination of transmission woes and the fact that I'm not really happy with how the APV2 ots map for the 39 is. I have ridden in a stage 2 STi and it felt fast, my car doesn't feel like it has that same speed. And to get a tune I would like to run it on a dyno, which again calls into trouble the trans.
This part makes sense. If you really want to build a fast track car, you should use an STi. But you should also have a daily driver to keep you out of it on a day to day basis.

Quote:
It's been a long time considering process, I think I started a thread a year ago or so thinking about getting an STi. I would also feel a littler safer with an STi with tbe and a tune rather than all the stuff I have put on my car. Oh and I probably should have listened a few times now lol, coils on the street everyday with how much I drive around town...suck. They ride pretty harsh, even though they are valved for street driving, and make quite a bit of noise.
Stock STi suspension is nothing special. More importantly, all suspension options are going to have basically the same characteristics on your car or on an STi. And again, your car's drivetrain isn't really int he realm of the risky- and if you want to go to 450bhp, the STi engine isn't going to be factory reliable either.
Old 2009-11-17, 01:52 PM   #16
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

It seems to me that STi motors aren't any more dependable than any other motor, what with the ring land failures. I realize STi's tend to be pushing more power than WRX's, but it just seems to me that if you can afford to buy an STi, you can afford to start a transmission fund.

And your coilovers suck on the street. Oh well. Slap on something more apropriate, not biggie.
Old 2009-11-17, 02:33 PM   #17
Kevin M
EJ22T

As I hear it, the Variant 1s are pretty darn good on the street. So pretty clearly, Nick is gonna need a separate track car at some point.
Old 2009-11-17, 03:22 PM   #18
ScottyS
EJ205

Car: 1998 Impreza Wagon, 1991 Legacy Turbo Sedan, 2003 Nissan Xterra
Class: tvFree

Yes, I'll fix it for you. Again.

To fortify Kevin's statements:

If your driving habits will break that transmission in your car, then they will probably break the STi tranny too, which is even more expensive to service/replace.

How many used STi's have *not* been driven hard?

We don't know many people that have a dedicated track car that have *not* done major motor work. Assume that if you get a dedicated track car that you will be rebuilding the motor sooner rather than later.

Blown STi shells will be cheaper every year. When do you think realistically that you will be able to support a track car budget?

Again, your car pretty much will do anything the STi will do on the street, and you already are farther along in the mod process....
Old 2009-11-17, 08:50 PM   #19
tysonK
warehouse SECCS

Car: 04 Evo 99 Cadillac
Class: street de le mod

you'll regret it.

You have a nice car, keep it.

I feel old.

tysonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-18, 06:49 AM   #20
szucchet
EJ22

Car: 2004 Subaru STI
Class: 04 TSM

smooth is fast

My 04 sti has stock suspention and it's quite rough on the streets let alone how noisy it is around tow, I would take a wrx for daily d then an sti, but I woult much rather have an sti for the track. The sti is going to need some mods aswell if you want to track it every weekend.
Old 2009-11-18, 05:51 PM   #21
WRX06TR
EJ251

Back to the studio!

I really appreciate everybody's advice and input. However, I have made up my mind on the subject. I have wanted a 2005 STi for a long while now. For me I am in a financially comfortable place where I can own one and drive it daily. I was just looking for a little advice on what to look for in an STi with some miles on the clock. But thanks anyway.
Old 2009-11-18, 07:27 PM   #22
Kevin M
EJ22T

Alrighty then. Basically, as long as the engine is healthy, the gearbox works, and you can't see any evidence of accidents then it's worth buying. The more complete history you can get though, the better obviously. If it's been modded, make sure it's also been tuned by someone with a good reputation.
Old 2009-11-18, 08:49 PM   #23
MattR
El Matador

Car: 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Class: ?

I'll sell you mine, just let me know.
Old 2009-11-18, 09:15 PM   #24
Kevin M
EJ22T

Hell yeah. One less driver between me and top PAX.
Old 2009-11-18, 09:16 PM   #25
Dean
Señor Cheap Bastarde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR View Post
I'll sell you mine, just let me know.
He wants an '05...