Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat

General Subaru Discussion & Club Chat Talk about Subarus, plan meets, and other Sierra Nevada area Suby stuff!

Old 2004-08-23, 04:20 PM   #1
murphy
EJ22

Car: 03 evo, 06 R6
Default checked out Forced Air Tech.

Well I was able to check out one shop while here in AZ. I made it to Forced Air Tech. http://www.forcedairtech.com/ this is what I have to say about them so I guess its a review.
Its a small shop that shares with another general mechanics shop...the lay out is simple 3 hyd lifts with a suprising amount of space for cars and work. Owner oper. Robert has a background in mechanical engineering, and the one employee I met is a graduate of UTI in phoenix http://www.uticorp.com/ I was able to get some good info on projects inshop and his own personal car (supercharged turbo sti). I was also able to see examples of his taged turbo kits and welding skill..very impressive.
The supercharged, turbo sti was quite intresting to view first hand, the work looked great. The one off kit that he has designed will be in production in perhaps 2 months. From info I got it will work on the sti and wrx. the aprox boost level is 15 psi. He gave a run down of the set up but damn if I can remember the fine print...
Robert is able to make custom one off parts at customers request when supplied with specs...(I will be taking advantage of this).
Another project that was in shop was a 2001 rs that under whent a sti short block swap. the project uses the sti manifold and block higher compression pistons and RS sohc heads. ( intresting combo.) his price for sti short blocks is pretty good.
The most intresting project that was shown to me was a calloway c-5 vett undergoing a full twin turbo/engine rebuild. (car will be on the cover of hotrod mag sometime) I est. the out put will be over 700whp I was told that was a little low.
My impression of the shop was very good, It was very good of the owner to take time to give a shop tour to a total stranger on very short notice.. I was able to slip him a SECCS card that I was lucky to have ( but it does have deans # on the back). It appears that Robert is on top of his game with custom fab and customer concerns
I was also informed that he has a new version of the twin turbo kit for the GC bodies which sounds pretty intresting, fast spool and good top end with user tuneability on request for our higher altitude range...the new twin kit will have larger turbos with a new locations for them with a shared intake..which will also with luck be out in the next few months. ( I'm very intrested in that long with the improved stage 3 kit he showed me.)
over all I would say this is a place that SECCS should consider sending buisness to...that and we would have a local person to address any issues or pick up parts if need be.
murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 08:18 PM   #2
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM
Default Re: checked out Forced Air Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy
It was very good of the owner to take time to give a shop tour to a total stranger on very short notice..
Small shops are usually the most personable, accomodating & friendly... unless it's some old, grizzled guy running it that doesn't care anymore.