Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras  

Go Back   Subaru Enthusiasts Car Club of the Sierras > Car Enthusiast Forums > Technical Chat

Technical Chat Ask and answer technical car questions.

Old 2005-10-17, 11:29 AM   #26
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

Looks like I left the word "aftermarket" out of that sentence. Oops.
Old 2005-10-17, 03:39 PM   #27
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Okay, now for an even more hairbrained scheme:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry on the SVX Network board
Considering I've got a 5x100 WRX already, I'd actually really like my SVX to use the same, so I can share wheels between the two.

I'm just not so keen on trying the swap, since I've already got one car that's down (WRX is getting a 2.5L shortblock installed) so I can't really attempt something as involved as a knuckle swap until the WRX is running. Hell, even if the WRX were running, it doesn't have snow tires, so I can't exactly drive it during the winter anyway... which means a project like that has to wait till spring anyway.

However, just for discussion sake, what would it take to accomplish an SVX to WRX knuckle swap?

- Knuckels, do they bolt to the control arms (ball joint) and tie-rods w/o modification?
- Axles, are WRX axles needed to attach to the hubs? Will WRX axles attach to the transmission properly? Are they the correct length? (I'm assuming WRX axles will work because the SVX axles are used when a WRX 5MT is installed)
- Bearings, are the WRX bearings strong enough for the heavier SVX? (I would assume they're no worse that the current SVX bearings that constantly seem to wear out).
- Brakes, SVX brakes probably don't bolt to the WRX knuckels. Will the WRX brakes work w/ the SVX's ABS system? Will the ABS sensors from the WRX have to be used? Will they stop the car as well/better than the stock SVX brakes?
- Struts, what are the length requirements for the SVX versus the WRX? Clearly the struts will have to be mounted to stock SVX (or similar) top mounts, and clearly the struts themselves will have to be designed to mate to WRX knuckels. Lengths, dampers, and springs rates will have to be modified to work w/ SVX's requirements. I think just about any highly adjustable coilovers for the WRX should work... I'm thinking Tein Flex's with modified springs would be a great choice, plus there's the chance to use the EDFC for damper adjustment w/o having to take apart the rear seats!
- Swaybars, or specifically, the endlinks... the mounting location will probably have to change, or we'll have to weld a mounting tab to whatever coilovers are selected.
- Emergency brake, I'm assuming the SVX's cables would tie right into the WRX's e-brake drums.

Did I miss anything?

The sweet part of doing something like this is that it would open your SVX up to the WRX aftermarket... brakes, struts, wheels all become options. I'd love an SVX w/ EDFC controlled Tein Flex coilovers and StopTech brakes!

My guess for the parts needed for the conversion:

- WRX knuckel assemblies, Front and Rear (including hubs and bearings)
- WRX axles (all four)
- WRX brakes (rotors, calipers, dust shields, e-brakes, possibly the brake lines, possibly the ABS sensors)
- WRX struts, adjusted for the SVX's requirements
- WRX wheels
- An intrepid nature, a good attitude, and spare time to deal w/ all the little issues that will come up doing a swap like this.

I've got just about everything, minus the front knuckels and the ABS sensors off my WRX since I did a 6MT swap. Perhaps I'll give this mod a shot come spring... in which case I'd have to somehow make it though this winter with my blown struts and failing transmission.
Old 2005-10-17, 03:43 PM   #28
cody
Candy Mountain

Car: 03 Pussy Wagon, now with more pink!
Class: TESP

OMG Internet!

You're insane Scott. That is all.
Old 2005-10-17, 04:17 PM   #29
AtomicLabMonkey
Nightwalker

Car: '13 WRX

YGBSM

Good lord, dude. One torn-apart, mishmash-of-non-standard-parts car isn't enough? If you ever had to take it to a mechanic they'd probably just start laughing...

This idea =
Attached Images

Old 2005-10-17, 04:18 PM   #30
Dean
Seņor Cheap Bastarde

Car: $.04 STI
Class: Fast,Cheap & Reliable=STI

Deal, did somebody say Deal? Oh, Dean, yeah that's me.

While in some cases aftermarket is better than OE, shock inserts are often the exception. Since they are inserts, they often have less throw, lower fluid volume to absorb/disipate heat, smaller valves, and retain more heat due to strut itself acting another layer of insulation.

Some places can rebuild/revalve OE struts if they actually have a threaded housing top. I thnk my dada and I rebuit about a dozen Lancia struts at some point or another. That might be an option.

Just think, if you hadn't sold your JICs, you could use those in your knuckle swap scenario...
Old 2005-10-17, 04:21 PM   #31
sperry
The Doink

Car: '09 OBXT, '02 WRX, '96 Miata
Class: PDX/TT-6

The way out is through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
Just think, if you hadn't sold your JICs, you could use those in your knuckle swap scenario...
Yeah, 'cause those JIC's were sooo great on the freeway.